Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone point me toward a visual guide to complete engine and trans remove for a 12v 164? I need to get the whole thing out but leave the car a "roller" so I can move it out of the garage while the engine is torn down... engine hoist and multiple floor jacks are at my disposal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Look in the very 1st "Sticky" post...Alfisto Steve Maintenance Posts. I'm sure it's in there. Also if you do a search, you'll come up with lost of tips. You have got a manual, or Car Disc, right? It's also in there.
By roller, I hope you mean roller, not tow...er. The axles will still be in place and will flop around if you "roll" too fast.

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
These are couple of my old posts on removing and installing engines and covers some of the issues to remove it.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/42735-nero-goes-under-knife.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/83027-stuffing-164l-engine-auto-tranny.html

You have to remove inner CV joint bolts from both axles near power steering pump and at transmission.

Remove right headlight, alternator, compressor, alternator/compressor/front mount brackets and power steering pump hoses, pulley, etc.

Disconnect exhaust pipes, transmission linkages, wiring connectors, ground strap to transmission, cooling hoses, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but Steve, do you have any tips on disconnecting the half-shafts? Just lots of wd-40 and some elbow grease?

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but Steve, do you have any tips on disconnecting the half-shafts? Just lots of wd-40 and some elbow grease?
Good quality allen head socket and air impact gun works for me. If possible use 1/2" drive extensions to prevent flexing you get with 3/8" drive long extensions.

If you don't have air or electric impact gun and have to use ratchet or hinge handle and cheater bar you will need to probably have someone hold the brakes to break bolts loose.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Not to but in on the Alfa expert, but the half shafts usually disconnect quite easily by holding the lock nut on the back side of the flange with a wrench and using an Allen socket wrench on the head of the bolt. I've never had to use WD 40 or much elbow grease on them. They are torqued on so initially they are tight. You may have to put the brake on to keep the axle from turning while disconnecting them. Cut a 2X4 to length and jam it between the brake pedal and the vertical part of the floor just under the front of the seat.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
The nuts do not have to be held with a wrench, they will not turn because the axle flange edge holds them in place. In fact, do not try to turn the nuts at all, because you will only round them over and they will never budge. If the axle bolts are correctly torqued, they will be difficult to loosen. I have always used a Craftsmen 1/2" breaker bar to loosen them along with a quality Allen socket. They should also be reinstalled with a torque wrench to the correct torque when reinstalling them. Do get new CV gaskets so grease doesn't escape from them as well. You don't want your axles coming loose from the flange, if not correctly torqued, they will loosen themselves even further over time. It is a fairly common occurrence for axles to come loose on Porsche 928s, because people do not install them with the correct torque (a fairly high value, but I don't recall what it is at the moment). The 928 CV gasket can be used on the 164 BTW, if you can't find them from Alfa vendors.
Charles

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Gaskets aren't available from Alfa vendors.
My son's 164S came to us with the left half shaft missing a nut on 1 bolt and none of the bolts tight...it was only a matter of time.
Torque on the flange bolts is 35-43 Ft-Lbs. I always hold the nuts with a wrench. If I don't I find they flop around while they are coming undone...they are lock nuts. Some people like to replace the nuts after every use. I have reused them with out any problem, but will probably start to replace them since they've been apart several times.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
True, once you turn the bolts several revolutions, the nuts then start to turn. I have never understood the CV gaskets missing from Alfa vendors catalogs, but the Porsche 928 gaskets are exactly the right gasket to use there, so not a problem. I think Alfa used German GKN/Loebro CV joints as OEM (same as Porsche and other German makes). Porsche part number is 930 332 297 00.
Charles

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
All you have to do is hold nuts tight against rear surface of CV and you never need a wrench on nut as you remove and tighten bolts.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Why are you "Wrenches" against using a wrench:)

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Why are you "Wrenches" against using a wrench:)
Cause you don't need wrench on nut unless you let nut round off by not holding it against backside of CV joint and round it off.

Wrench is good it will prevent rounding once bolt partway loosened.

As for CV joint gasket here is info:

00608116520000 Z GASKET but if nobody Alfa related carries it then go with Porche 928 one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts