Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a rod (steering linkage?) that runs left-to-right under / near the transmission bell housing. It looks like it might get in the way when I start lifting / pulling on the engine. Does this rod need to be removed? It is not mentioned in the Alfa Shop Manual I am using.
Thanks,
NH Rick

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
You don't need to completely remove the center link but you do need to disconnect it from the steering box to allow repositioning it for clearance.

Here's a screen print from my engine rebuild manual.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Just be sure to put it back and secure it when finished ! Easy to forget. My engine builder left the nut off...and the link fell off at the end of a 100 mile post-rebuild motorway journey, just as I pulled into my parking space !!! Talk about guardian angels...

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Rather than disconnecting the center link at the steering box, I just remove the idler assembly from the passenger-side wheel well. It is held on by three bolts that go through the wheel-well sheet metal. With the idler assembly disconnected, the center link can be moved out of the way by lowering the idler assembly (tie rods still attached) without messing with the steering box.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Just be sure to put it back and secure it when finished ! Easy to forget. My engine builder left the nut off...and the link fell off at the end of a 100 mile post-rebuild motorway journey, just as I pulled into my parking space !!! Talk about guardian angels...
Chris, great story and thank God you were not testing the pulling power of your rebuild at 90mph. Funny how those things work sometimes ...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Chris, great story and thank God you were not testing the pulling power of your rebuild at 90mph. Funny how those things work sometimes ...
Not that I'm not grateful for how well things turned out :smile2: but I think it has something to do with how much stress was put on the linkage. As long as the wheels were turning, very little power was needed to steer - as opposed to when the car stopped and the wheels were sitting still on the road. I think that's why the linkage snapped out of place. Our steering boxes are notoriously fragile, everybody has a story about a Burmann box that cracked - as far as I know, all at low speed or in a stationary car when the steering wheel was turned with great power (and in most cases, with wide front tyres).

As for the linkage, it's possible to remove the engine with the linkage in place, but it's the kind of thing that was outlawed in Guantanamo as being inhuman, cruel an unusual. If you remove the engine and gearbox as one unit (as opposed to the manual above) and you successfully navigate it over the linkage (no small feat), you'll have a rear gearbox mounting bracket that'll still likely hit it. (Want to know how I know?...) But the bigger problem is that if you can't get the engine-gearbox unit out in one go and have to let it drop back, you might accidentaly put all the weight on the center piece of the linkage without even noticing. (Especially if you do it without help... Again, want to know how I know?)

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Rather than disconnecting the center link at the steering box, I just remove the idler assembly from the passenger-side wheel well. It is held on by three bolts that go through the wheel-well sheet metal. With the idler assembly disconnected, the center link can be moved out of the way by lowering the idler assembly (tie rods still attached) without messing with the steering box.
+1 for merely disconnecting the idler assembly from the passenger wheel well (3 bolts) to allow the center connecting rod to drop down and out of the way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the 3 nuts and bolts at the passenger side wheel well but I am not getting much "release" or movement of the linkages.
I might have bought about 2-inches of travel on the idler assembly which translates to only a small movement of the center link (rod). There is some "stuff" in the way of allowing the idler assembly to "fall" out of the way. Is it necessary to disconnect any of the linkages? Should I keep shaking and pulling? As it is now, the center link still looks like it will be in the way when I try to pull the engine.
I am GETTING CLOSE!
Thanks Much,
NH Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts