Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am sure this is simple, but I haven't figured out how to get this off and don't feel like "exploring " until I break something.

How do you remove the instrument cluster (fuel, temp, oil pressure) and radio? They are mounted on the black metal plate in the middle of the dash. Do I need to remove the entire dash to get in there and replace the radio? Or is there an easier way

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Depending on the radio, you may be able to release it out the front using a U-shaped hunk of coat hanger wire, or the actual tool if its around, to release it out the front. (pix around here somewhere of the process)

If its that type, you'll find two holes on both sides of the front that are rougly 1/8" in diameter. (they may be under a removable faceplate)
Tool goes in, presses release latches, radio pulls out, wires disconnect once it's pulled out enough.

The gauges can be gotten at by removing the glovebox and going in through the hole it leaves behind.
Remove door by taking out the screws along the hinge, light, door stop, latch come out and any other ecrews that might be lurking in the box proper.
Carefully weasle the box around til you can get it out of the hole.
(its plastic, but odds are more in favor of cracking the dash by wedging it out of there than breaking the box itself. A broken glovebox can be hidden by closing the door, a broken dash screams 'hey, look at me!!' and can be costly to deal with)

Once out, you just reach through the hole to the backside of the gauge area where said gauges are held in place like any other conventional or aftermarket gauge: couple nuts holding a yoke (they will have washers too, so don't drop them unless you've got replacements) the yoke proper, light and service wire, service wire(s) for gauge (held onto the gauge with more nuts)

If the radio doesn't have the conventional release as above, or is anchored to the chassis by the security strap, it too can most likely be accessed once the glovebox is out of the way.

Or, you can strip the console and side panels if the radio is the type that has to come out the back.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
If you have small hands and know how the instruments are held on, then you can remove the vents on the top of the dash, reach in, and unscrew the nuts on the back of the instruments. The link below shows how to replace the gauge bulbs, but I've used the same technique to remove the gauges altogether. If you remove the radio first, depending on what radio setup you have, you may be able to put one hand through the radio slot to catch the nuts and washers you drop while removing them with the hand through the vent. (My PO installed an aftermarket radio with a DIN bracket, and I was able to remove the bracket from the front after sliding out the radio. You may not be able to do this).

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/155966-gauge-instrument-bulb-lamp-replacement.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts