Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace only the front muffler on '74 GTV. The muffler system is all stock with all three standard sections. I have loosened the slip joint between the front and center muffler - a bit o'Mapp gas in the Blue Wrench. The three bolts holding the front muffler to the down pipes have been removed (thank goodness for stainless steel bolts/nuts!). The front muffler support bracket is already removed from the muffler and the tranny.

But I can't seem to get the muffler to budge from the down pipe where I know only 1/4" of an internal flange engages with the ID of the down pipe. I pushed on the center muffler with my foot in hopes it would all move to the back of the car.

Will I need to unbolt the center muffler from the rear section to gain the necessary clearance to free up the front muffler?

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
Heat where the overlap join is to expand the outer pipe. Nothing is easy with old exhaust pipes ...

Pete

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yes, heat it then put a wax candle on the heated part, the wax will seap in and make easier to remove, next time use ' nickel anti seize ' the copper stuff will not handle the heat but nickel anti seize will.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts