Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm about ready to pull the engine to fix my fatal mistake on my first Alfa build. It was pretty simple to do the engine/tranny together but there is no need to pull the tranny so I figured I would try the engine alone. I am to the point where I am ready to hook the hoist to it but it just doesnt look right to me. The engine has to come forward enough to clear the studs through the bell housing and you can only jack the tranny an inch or 2 before it hits the firewall. Am i missing something?

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Ok, I'm about ready to pull the engine to fix my fatal mistake on my first Alfa build. It was pretty simple to do the engine/tranny together but there is no need to pull the tranny so I figured I would try the engine alone. I am to the point where I am ready to hook the hoist to it but it just doesnt look right to me. The engine has to come forward enough to clear the studs through the bell housing and you can only jack the tranny an inch or 2 before it hits the firewall. Am i missing something?
You might have to unbolt the transmission support to get a better angle. I removed the studs from the rear of the block and use bolts to attach the bellhousing, which makes it a little easier, but it is still close.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heck, if I'm gonna do that I might as well pull them both together again....

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ****, that's right! I hated that part... I still have to remove the sway bar right? But I can leave the center link in place ......

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Yes. You have to remove the sway bar, or at least rotate it down if you can. Not sure about the center link. I always just unbolt the idler assembly on the passenger side and move the steering link out of the way. That's really easy and gives you more room.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
? steering links are behind the engine so I'm sure they are out of the way. Oil pump, gaskets, should be here on Tuesday from CA. I will post pics when I get the front cover off so no one will do what I did....

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eh, I look at it as a lesson learned. Pulling them both was quite easy, I think I am going to try engine only for the experience. I have some ideas in mind for the shaft and spline alignment...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I recommend pulling both as a unit. You may get lucky aligning the spline, but if you aren't, you'll hate life. It's not too much more work to pull both.

Good luck with your Spider!

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
To pull the engine by itself. You will need undo all the bellhousing bolts.Plus all the other usual stuff. Drop the center steering link and undo the front sway bar brackets and let the bar drop down. Since its an 86 you will need to wire the bar up. Then hook up your engine host and start lifting the engine. Put the floor jack under the center cases of the trans and jack it up until the trans hits the tunnel. With the trans pinned in place. You will be able to move the engine forward while rising it up.

Takes less time then then dealing with the trans and prop shaft.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Drop the center link by unbolting the tie rod ends, do not take the center link off by taking the steering arm off the box. I have done this 40-50 times, while working at alfetta motors,as a technician

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After much contemplation I just decided to pull them both. Thanks for the tips Jim and Bianchi but I didnt read your responses until now fir some reason. I missed the opportunity for the engine only experience but I think I probably made the right decision. For me, pulling them both is quite easy. Maybe next time. Tomorrow I will pull the pan and front cover and post the damage incurred by my oil pump installation mistake. When I got the engine on the stand and turned it upside down I heard pieces loose it there. Cant wait to see this....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts