Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my spare GTV6 head, I decided to see how the camshaft comes out, with leaving the pulley in place. Well....not so easy...for one reason; that tapered end on the camshaft DID NOT want to let go! With my puller in place..and getting VERY tight...I gave a light tap on the end of my puller shaft..and BANG! IT shot off! Is this typical? I am going to be checking the intake clearances of the rebuilt engine I got with my 1983 GTV6. I hope someones sells a puller that does leave the timing belt in place(as the shop manual says is possible), and separates the camshaft without so much drama!
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
400 Posts
They can be a bit...dramatic when they let go, but I've certainly done cam swaps/clearance setting without removing/disturbing the belt.

I've found it's a bit easier to remove & re-fit the cam (once pulley is free and caps removed) but easing the pulleys away from the block a wee bit to improve clearance.

·
Premium Member
14,817 Posts
Alternative method

I made a puller yesterday but then Richard Jemison told me of an alternative method that does not need a puller. Remove the three 7mm bolts from the pulley. Loosen the acorn nut two turns, insert a pry bar between the pulley and the head then whack the acorn nut with a hammer. It worked superbly for me.

·
Richard Jemison
7,783 Posts
Removing cam

Remove the three 7mm bolts from the pulley.
That is un-necessary, Just loosen the large acorn nut amnd put a pry bar behind the pullet to hold it. When nut is off slide the pulleys & belts forward slightly and cams can come out.
You don`t loose cam timing this way....

·
Premium Member
14,817 Posts
Removing that plate gives you more room to tilt the cam shaft as you remove it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts