1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1988 Alfa Spider
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am in the process of restoring the
Bicycle saddle Bumper Fender Automotive exterior Bicycle part
Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior Rim
seats in my 1988 Spider Graduate and I am having trouble removing the seat back adjustment device. There are these hex bolts hidden inside the angled metal panel on either side of the seat where the seat adjustment wheel is and the seat tilt thingy is. I attached photos. I can loosen the bolt, but it seems get harder to turn the more I loosen it. I see some progress with more of the bolt showing, but after a while, it doesn’t seem like I am making any more progress. I am afraid to keep going for fear of breaking something I cannot replace. Any thoughts? Thanks!

· Premium Member
6,119 Posts
There's a bar that links the two sides, it's a slide fit into the mechanism, but if there's corrosion it could be stuck.
Actually there is a set screw that holds the bar in place one either end - you need to loosen them and then, with the hex nuts loosened you can start to back the hinges out.

· Registered
1988 Alfa Spider
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got the seat back adjusting device off and spent 2 weeks refurbishing it. It looks great, but I am having trouble attaching the device to the seat back on one side. I am having trouble with the hex head bolt that is embedded in the mechanism. It doesn’t want to thread into the female end that is part of the seat back. I cannot tell if it is the threads on the bolt or the female part on the seat back. Does anybody have any suggestions? Maybe rethreading the hole? I can’t remove and replace that hex bolt, unless somebody knows how to open it up the mechanism? I feel I need a machinist. I am one very sad fella tonight🙁.

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Definitely fiddly. I would remove the hinge and try running just a bolt into the hole. Do the same by running a nut onto the hex bolt. That should tell you if you have a problem with the threads. If everything checks out then you're probably crooked going in. Just keep trying - you'll get it...

· Premium Member
1,774 Posts
If you cannot determine the thread gauge and acquire a good quality thread chase/repair/restore kit (male and female) for that size, and solve the issue yourself, then by all means carry the part into a local machine shop, explain the problem, and ask for help. You may be surprised. A lot of small shop machinists will have seen your problem before, and since it is a "one off" job, may actually fix it for you, while you wait, non-gratis.

· Registered
1988 Alfa Spider
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody! With your advice, I fixed the problem! It was the poorly threaded nut that is welded into the seat back. I used a new stainless steel bolt and gently went in an out of the nut, and it rethreaded it nicely. Even though the bolt is worn on the tip, it caught and tightened. The seat restoration project is coming along nicely now. I appreciate all your help! A happy Alfa guy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts