Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone of a secret for the removal of the lower timing chain gear that sits on the end of the crank? It is tough to get anything behind it... including your fingers, and it does not seem to want to slide off easily.

Thanks
Sprintn
aka Quentin
1973 GTV 2000

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
My son Dan's 69 spider had no toruble with the pulley, it just slid off. there is a key on the shaft, it might have partally sheared and could be jamming the pully on the shaft, can you pull the key first?
cliff

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Alfacliff... but he pulley came off fine. It's the lower timing chain gear on the crank behind the front cover that's being stubborn.

THanks for the reply!
Quentin

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine was quite difficult to get off too until I realized that there was a woodruf key under it which was tilted up slightly so the more I tried to bring it forward the more it jammed. The solution was some good light to see what was going on and a couple of light taps on the key to straighten in to level position and the gear slipped right off.
good luck
jim

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep... Having use the flashlight, it looks like my key is also tilted. Problem is... the key is under the gear... or hub, a little ways.?.? So how did you tap on it?

Really appreciate the replies!!!
Quentin

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As it turns out... my woodruff key was in there just fine. So that was not the problem. But... I was able to use a standard gear puller and the timing gear slid off nice and smooth. Firm but smooth.
I may have to heat it in the oven in order to be able to slide it back on.?.? When the time comes.

Thanks for the comments and Help
Cheers
Sprintn

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I would just polish it up a little. Should have slid off with ease. No heating or tapping required.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good stuff to know!!! I'm actually kind of hesitant to heat stuff that works in such close tolerances for fear that under cooling it doesn't quite go all the way back to where it should be.

THanks for the Heads-up!
Quentin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts