Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANy hints on how to remove these two Bearing caps if you do not have the factory "Pullers"??? Or... can someone direst me to a thread that may hit on this topic already?

Much Appreciated!!!
Quentin

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Wrap it with a thick shop rag so you won't mar it. Grab the shop rag wrapped bearing cap in the depressed center with a vice grip. Give it a yank. If hung up....use a hammer to lightly tap the vice and the stud ends of the cap. Should lift off fairly easily once you get it past the neck of studs. On the 5th...pay particular attention to not grab the seal surface.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So #3 should come off the same way that 1, 2, and 4 cam off? What is with the tabs that are on both sides of three... down near the crank?

You Got #5 off using vice grips?!?! How did you hold onto the vice grips?!?! Cause that thing is really in there!!!

Thanks for the reply and the hints!!!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
So #3 should come off the same way that 1, 2, and 4 cam off? What is with the tabs that are on both sides of three... down near the crank?

You Got #5 off using vice grips?!?! How did you hold onto the vice grips?!?! Cause that thing is really in there!!!

Thanks for the reply and the hints!!!
Yes....three just like 1,2,&4. And 5 requires a little more strategic placement of the grips. Really all you are using them for is to pull up on as you tap on the cap. The tabs you are referring to are for the placement of the thrust washers. Note their orientation for rebuild. You'll notice the thrust washers have a grove on one side that faces the crankshaft.

On that fifth...it is the most difficult to pull. It has those cig seals pressed in that also don't help. It will come...just be patient and don't beat it up out of frustration. What I did was I took my biggest set of vice graps...put a heavy shop rag over the main, clamped the shop vice onto the main with it oriented pointing up, then tapped on the vice grip upwardly and on the sides of the main...inside and out. It will need to come straight up or it'll bind. Of course...block on engine stand...with the block inverted. So I just pull and tap. That is it.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, THis is great. I just needed to be sure that I wasn't forcing something that wasn't going to come off without first completing a skipped or missed step. And... that it was okay to "tap" on them to get them to break free.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Cheers
Quentin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts