Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought some in the racing/track community might be interested in remote shifters and what Roman Auto Prep has come up with during the off-season. There are a couple of designs out there that work well – I believe Erik Wood is using one David Levian’s shifters and I have used it as well many years ago, Jon Norman has one, etc…

Seating position is absolutely critical, and we’ve been constantly fine tuning it over the years in my car. Finally this year we decided to tackle the last major step in seating comfort and Roman installed his remote shifter, which allows me to sit further back in the ****pit and still have comfortable access to all the gears. The throw between gears is obviously a bit shorter as well.

The video shows it in action around Gingerman Raceway a few weeks back and you’ll note that we’ve obviously moved the steering wheel further back and I’m using a more laid back formula car style seating position.

My apologies for the poor view outside the car as I didn’t have the camera properly adjusted. I don’t have any still shots at this time – I’ll get some up later. Thanks - Bernardo

·
Registered
87 Posts
looks interesting. How far back from the original shifter location does this move the lever? It looks like it's a fair bit further than the Leivian shifter or the Beck short-shifter that I'm going to be using.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks interesting. How far back from the original shifter location does this move the lever? It looks like it's a fair bit further than the Leivian shifter or the Beck short-shifter that I'm going to be using.
Mine is about 12" further back from the base of the tranny (where the stock shifter mounts to).

This was a nice option because the seating position is so laid back and Roman could customize the length. I didn't think I could reach (mainly 5th gear) with the other shifter options out there. This style also doesn't require mounting anything to the chassis - everything comes off the tranny.

·
Registered
87 Posts
wow, 12" is quite a bit. I think the Beck one I have only moves it back around 8". I'll have to keep that in mind as my seat is also reclined quite a bit. I'll be trying the Beck one for the first time this coming weekend. We'll see!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can put my shifter as for back as you want it. I have made it as far back as 14 inches. Bernardo drove a car with my shifter that use to belong to Dick Davenport. My shifter also allows the use of the standard rubber shift boots. My original prototype was much like Romans unit. David

·
Registered
what part?
10,499 Posts
my remote shifter...enjoy.. 1-3 gear duel carbon lined syscro's.. takes atf-4 fuild....and much cheaper than an alfa spider tranny..and... a 1 peice alumiumn driveshaft.. allmost 2/3 off the weight if the a;fa spider driveshaft...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
If installed properly my shifter works equally as well if not better as one mounted on the transmission. There is no advantage either way except I think my installation is much cleaner in the long run. Plus mine can be easily extended if you would want to move your seat rearward. I have seen the one (mine) advertised for sale here on the BB and the photo shows it installed wrong. The mounting bracket must be mounted to the right of the tunnel. I have more then 20 of them out there. David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts