Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished this project and thought some details might come in handy for someone.

For the keyless entry system, I used a Bulldog Security KE1702-ENG-CL, which I got from Amazon for $42. I chose this one because their webpage (www.bulldogsecurity.com) actually had wiring information for a milano. And believe it or not, it was correct! The power lock module is located above the fuse panel, behind that little glove box to the left of the steering wheel. I just wired up the keyless entry box according to the color codes on the Bulldog webpage, and everything worked the first time.

For the power trunk release, I first bought a cheapie $15 solenoid kit. It didn't have enough power to pop the latch, so then I found the much more powerful Spal SIL40K solenoid. I got it from www.a1electric.com for $45. It fits nicely in a recess under the trunk carpet between the latch and the left side light assembly. It has plenty of power, but you need to run a 12 gauge wire. I connected a new wire to a spare unfused lug on the back of the fuse panel (look for the 10gauge red wires), added an inline fuse and relay and ran the wire under the carpet back to the trunk.

Anyway it was a pretty easy project and now my wife gets to pretend she has a new car!

Jason
San Jose, California

·
Registered
731 Posts
Jason,

Thank you for the information. I've been thinking of doing the same thing but hadn't done any research.

I hate having to open the trunk from the cable inside the car.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thanks Jason...

I've also been looking into this recently...The boot release cable was broken when I bought my car (2 1/2 years ago) & It's one of those little jobs I'm just getting round to now:eek:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'd like to get rid of the door handles completly so all sheet metal. Thoughts welcome....What electronic gizmo should I buy?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,853 Posts
ALFA-75-MAN said:
I'd like to get rid of the door handles completly so all sheet metal. Thoughts welcome....What electronic gizmo should I buy?
I think you're gonna feel like a right fool the first time your battery dies.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,455 Posts
My Verde has an alarm with keyless entry. I find the Alarm useless but the keyless entry incredibly helpful. I wish it included a keyless trunk release like the system Jason installed!

Joe

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hmmm maybe some mechanical means as well just in case...But maybe a FOOSE job for the Milano.

Good point what if the battery dies...Sledge hammer:)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Alfa 75 Man you could just give that treatment to the rear door handles, looks nice :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Off topic question since you in Australia whats the wether like for the F1 race?

Now back to Alfa by treatment you mean paint them and change the gasket?

Bernard did you convert the 3.0 to a 24v? Was this difficult? Seems like the people down under have a lot of parts and fun!! :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
ALFA-75-MAN said:
Off topic question since you in Australia whats the wether like for the F1 race?
Forecast for Melbourne Issued at 0505 on Sunday the 2nd of April 2006

Sunday
A few showers clearing by early afternoon. Cloudy periods with a moderate to
fresh southerly wind slowly moderating.

Max 19

And you can watch the rain here http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.loop.shtml#image

The track is roughly due south of Melbourne on the crosshair.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Thanks for posting this info! I've gotten so used to having remote door locks & trunk that I had poked around a little for how to do this on my Verde but hadn't found anything useful yet.

kevin

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I just went to the a1electric site you mentioned for the trunk solenoid and happened to look at their MES Power Door Lock & Keyless Entry Kit and the door lock solenoids look exactly like the ones in the Milano (except they are white instead of black)! Wonder if they really are...

kevin

·
Registered
818 Posts
ALFA-75-MAN said:

Now back to Alfa by treatment you mean paint them and change the gasket?

Bernard did you convert the 3.0 to a 24v? Was this difficult? Seems like the people down under have a lot of parts and fun!! :)
I was out on a track up here in QLD on Sat, was great fun till my clutch lost pressure, I presume slave cyl.

Anyhoo, by treatment I mean removing the rear door handles in favor for remote operated doors, but leaving the front door handles in case the battery dies or you lose the remote ;).

My car was a 2.5V6, I installed an engine from Dawie, and when I say *I* I mean my mechanic.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I had installed the keyless entry and trunk pop solenoid a while back but was not able to test it as my engine was out and the battery wasn't connected. The engine's back in and I finally was able to hook up the battery last night and decided to test things out and they worked first try!

Here's a pic of the solenoid installed.

Kevin

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,853 Posts
Thanks for the tips on this, guys. I did the same install this weekend and it went surprisingly smoothly. Toughest part was getting the mess of wiring back under the dash!

My solenoid should be here on Tuesday. I'm psyched because the trunk release is the thing I want the most.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,853 Posts
Just a follow-up on this. After about a year the trunk release started working intermittently, then died. Turns out the relay went bad...took it apart and the contacts were pretty pitted.

I measured the amperage of that big solenoid and it turns out it pulls 42 amps when cold! Contacted the solenoid company and that's the expected behavior, so there's nothing wrong with it. I replaced the standard 30A relay with a 40A relay and it's working well so far. Hopefully this one will hold up longer.

Just wanted to tell people that if you're doing this mod with the SIL40K make double sure you use heavy duty components, at least 12 gauge wiring, and fuse the power supply properly - that sucker pulls a lot of juice.

·
Registered
297 Posts
im glad you posted, first time ive seen this thread - cant wait to do this to my car!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Just a follow-up on this. After about a year the trunk release started working intermittently, then died. Turns out the relay went bad...took it apart and the contacts were pretty pitted.

I measured the amperage of that big solenoid and it turns out it pulls 42 amps when cold! Contacted the solenoid company and that's the expected behavior, so there's nothing wrong with it. I replaced the standard 30A relay with a 40A relay and it's working well so far. Hopefully this one will hold up longer.

Just wanted to tell people that if you're doing this mod with the SIL40K make double sure you use heavy duty components, at least 12 gauge wiring, and fuse the power supply properly - that sucker pulls a lot of juice.
Tom,

Thanks for the followup, mine's been working great but I'll keep an eye on the relay!

Hugh, this is one of the best mods I've made to the Verde, very useful and worth it!

Kevin

·
Registered
659 Posts
im glad you posted, first time ive seen this thread - cant wait to do this to my car!
Hit up your local Jaycar for a boot solenoid at around $35. I've got one integrated into my alarm and it works a treat. It even comes with a little button you can mount in you don't have something to operate it with.

Although after the latest post I think I may check the current it draws when operating. 40A is insane!

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hit up your local Jaycar for a boot solenoid at around $35. I've got one integrated into my alarm and it works a treat. It even comes with a little button you can mount in you don't have something to operate it with.

Although after the latest post I think I may check the current it draws when operating. 40A is insane!

ROCK ON
R~R
Yer no doubt, i was toying with the idea a while back of using a central locking mechanism from some of the old doors we have lying around here, but was pretty sure it didnt have the grunt.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts