Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today it is 50 years, that the Autodelta Driver Luigi Rinaldi and Track official Jaroslav Bartošek died during an accident at the training for the GP Brno. There are a lot of pictures available (I leave out the not appropriate).

Gianluigi Picchi described the Szene in his Biography about his time at Autodelta.

Autodelta driver Luigi Rinaldi, who had won the opening race in Monza a few weeks earlier, was racing in Brno for the first time. It was raining heavily that day, with large puddles forming on the track. He left the pits directly behind his Alfa team-mate Gian Luigi Picchi (European Champion 1971): "we left the pits one after the other. At the end of the first lap, when I came through the bend towards the main straight, I shifted from third, into fourth, into fifth. The road made a slight right turn, at the height of the timing tower I was reaching around 180 km/h. I saw the film of water on the road. That's when I saw the film of water on the road, danger of aquaplaning. As usual in these conditions, I tried not to brake but to get through the bend with a steady throttle to avoid spinning or getting stuck. Driving with foresight, especially on the first lap, when I didn't yet know the condition of the track. Nevertheless, the moment I went through the big puddle I started to lurch, ended up with the left side of the rear on the side of the road, followed by the front. If I had spun on the tarmac, I probably would have ended up on the grandstand to the left of the finish line. After 500 metres, I miraculously managed to get the car back on the tarmac without steering. But I had goose bumps, I can assure you. A collision at that speed would have been fatal. I drove a few more laps and when they showed the red flag at the track I drove into the pits and took off my helmet. The Autodelta mechanics burst into tears. Luigi Rinaldi wasn't as lucky as me..."

He had spun at over 180 km/h and crashed his GTA1300Junior into the timing tower. This killed him and the race commissioner Jaroslav Bartošek. Ironically, half an hour later the sun came out and dried the track.

As a result, the Grand Prix was paused for two years. In 1975, it reappeared on the racing calendar with a shortened track of 10,925 metres and crash barriers all around.

In Czechoslovakia the accident was a big impact, as the GP was something very special in the communist time, so everybody from the Lokal racing community was there and has seen this accident. It is still being remembered there today. In the old pitlane there was placed a commemorative sign a few years ago.
Funfact: on the poster for the 1975 Grand Prix Brno you find patches over the date. Below you have an old date form the initially planned 1973 race which was paused then until ‘75.

Rectangle Triangle Sleeve Grey Road surface

Vehicle Motor vehicle Aircraft Automotive tire Hood

Clothing Car Vehicle Photograph Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Black-and-white Style

Motor vehicle Art Font Machine Metal

Motor vehicle Event Monochrome photography Monochrome Pollution

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle White Vehicle

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Black Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Small correction, last picture (51) is Umberti after the contact with Jochen Mass in Brno 1971

1 - 4 of 4 Posts