Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am happy to announce that we again are able to offer remanufactured dashes for 1750 and 2000 GTVs, after nearly 5 years of unavailability due to manufacturing problems at our Italian supplier.

These dashes are painstakingly remanufactured and the quality and detail are really quite something when you see them up close. They are, in every way possible, brand new in look, feel, and durability.

We are often asked how these compare to one of the very good domestic services that "recover" dashes. The answer is that the process is completely different - these are made using a mold with all new foam substructure and vinyl and thus dimensionally are 100% true to the original. In our testing we have also not seen a recovered dash that could adequately cover the compound curves of the 1750 GTV instrument nacelles the way these do, although others have had success.

So - if you want one of these dashes now is the time. We have a limited supply on hand and, although we do plan to commission further production runs we cannot guarantee any future supply.

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look great Joe, How about Spider dashes?
We have Duetto and 1750 Roundtail dashes in stock now. The later dashes will be on our next production run.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
As you have an Italian supplier , please , what are the chances of a run of right hand drive dashes ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
As you have an Italian supplier , please , what are the chances of a run of right hand drive dashes ?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Me too! After 30 odd years mine is just starting to show cracking.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Joe,

If you could have your Italian supplier make some RHD dashes you'd clean up!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe, do they come with the wood trim?
No, but we do have the wood veneer kits available separately. The veneers are our own manufacture are quite nice.

RE: RHD dashes - thanks for the feedback. There are several logistical challenges to make that happen but I'll work on it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Christian D....I got mine from Joe and were installed in my NOS '71 GTV dash. I also installed all new NOS chrome trim bits. I WILL testify that the veneer looks fantasic. It was easy to work with and needed only 'extremely' limited trimming. They are (will) be a wee bit darker than what you may have been use to. But then again we are probably use to "sun-faded" 35 yr. + dashes. The kit was well worth the money.....Ed K.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
@ $1895 someone should be !
To quote Macinroe's famous line, "are you serious" !! $1895 USD for a new dash, wow that is pricey, albeit it does look fabulous, and then doesn't include the wood veneer kit. Sorry Joe if I offend or simply am nieve in having no idea re the costs involved in getting a limited production run happening.

Now if it were around a third of or a little more (ie.$600 or so), then that to me would be in time an affordable item for my RHD 1750. Afterall, I had the seats for my Giulia Super rebuilt and covered in the best Connolly leather, to absolutely correct stitching pattern for $2200 AUD, and 4 brand new door cards, rebuilt long grab handles and a new parcel shelf made by my coach trimer for $1400 AUD.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That is $500 more than the retail price at Bertelsbeck Automotive. (shipping not factored in but will be significantly less than $500 for sure.)

Surely US distributers pay trade price and get a volume discount? That should allow them to sell them at least at the same retail price (about $1,350 at todays exchange rate) and still make a profit, no?

Still a hefty price tag of course.

Now you could get one of these GT-Am dashboard replicas for only $500 and re-vinyl it yourself. As long as you don't mind losing your glovebox :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
I got one of these dashes 10+ years ago from Centerline and it still looks great. The price may have been a bit dear, but I've never looked back and said "I wish I paid $500 less."

I have no idea what sort of markup Centerline has on their stuff, but they always seem competitively priced. If Bartelsbeck actually has dashes of comparable quality in stock at that price, it could be a better deal. That said, I've seen vendors keeping items in their catalog even though they're no longer available. It can be a good way to gauge demand for big ticket items that don't sell in volume.

Whoever the supplier, we need enough people willing to pay a fair price for top quality items like this and body panels and other difficult to produce items so we can continue keeping these cars on the road.

Regards,
Lawrence

·
Registered
276 Posts
This whole thread is totally unfair.

A supplier announces that they have gone to a lot of trouble to secure a top quality product that would probably only interest top end customers.

Then we get all these cheap-skates coming in here saying they would not pay good money for quality. They can buy a fibreglass shell for less that the beautifuly-made-fully-covered-to-original-specification reproduction. I'm sure they'd use a $2 brush to paint it too.

If your standards are low, fine but don't bag out someone who is trying to raise the bar. If he didn't make a profit your car would be a rust heap with no parts at all except the ones you made yourself. If he sells one or two of these a year how will he ever recover the time spent securing the rights and testing quality and negotiations? If you took ALL of his costs into account they are probably too cheap - you should be grateful he cares enough to do the work.

P.S. - I've never bought anything from them and never met anyone from there. For all I know he might be a complete scum-bag (probably not), but this thread is still unfair.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
This whole thread is totally unfair.

A supplier announces that they have gone to a lot of trouble to secure a top quality product that would probably only interest top end customers.

Then we get all these cheap-skates coming in here saying they would not pay good money for quality. They can buy a fibreglass shell for less that the beautifuly-made-fully-covered-to-original-specification reproduction. I'm sure they'd use a $2 brush to paint it too.

If your standards are low, fine but don't bag out someone who is trying to raise the bar. If he didn't make a profit your car would be a rust heap with no parts at all except the ones you made yourself. If he sells one or two of these a year how will he ever recover the time spent securing the rights and testing quality and negotiations? If you took ALL of his costs into account they are probably too cheap - you should be grateful he cares enough to do the work.

P.S. - I've never bought anything from them and never met anyone from there. For all I know he might be a complete scum-bag (probably not), but this thread is still unfair.
Andrew, on the contrary, like those who also queried the cost, and given that Joe didn't actually say what the dashes cost, but rather someone else quoted a price, I think it is perfectly reasonable to query this, as I did.

If you had read my posting on this matter, you would clearly see that in my case I am no cheapskate given I have spent with my coachtrimmer the best part of $3600 -3800 AUD on having my seats rebuilt/trimmed in Connolly leather, new door cards, new rear parcel shelf and the dash completely rebuilt. This in my mind is not cheap, but I too demand quality and am prepared to pay it, but there are limits to what I can afford.

However, and it is a moot point given that the dashes Joe have are only LHD, that if the price quoted at slightly under $2K USD, this does seem somewhat expensive in context to the level of work on the interior I have had done for my Giulia Super. In the end it is fine if money is no object, but I suspect that for the majority of us Alfa 105 owners, it is in fact, and that we have to operate within a budget.

As I also noted, I do appreciate that small production run items are costly to produce, are likely to have small volume sales, and so hence there is the need to have a reasonable price but that perhaps is the point. IMO, to be spending $2K on a new dash is a luxury, especially when perhaps there are more affordable options, which I will have to investigate when the time comes to restore my 1750 GTV. If some people are prepared to pay (as undoubtedly there will be), then that is their choice.

As you would be well aware, Alfaholics also have a fair range of high end parts on their listing too, most of which are probably beyond the average Alfa 105 owners budget, but they still have items made, and sell them for those who desire such items and can afford them. This is perfectly fine, and similarly I have no issue with Joe's outfit selling these dashes.

I just can't afford one, that is all. Dave

1 - 20 of 47 Posts