Votes: 46 48.9%
  • I prefer it to "NOT BE ALLOWED"

Votes: 48 51.1%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Interesting. Seems like most Texans are united for free speech anyway. And it seems like many posters from "blue" countries, states and cities want censorship. I'd bet a set of 6 old nasty sombreros that a formal study just might reveal that mostly "blue" people voted to censor. Again, just a though. Flame suit on.

. . . So, just get off the chair. ;)
Exactly what I was thinking today, except stated much more kindly than I usually do;) I don't really think it is 50/50 either. Just that the blueish can't look away and in fact frequent any debate in order to try to kill it with name calling and censorship. They much prefer the steath approach to protect their domain by brain washing public school children and taking over all forms of media for their own use only, but constantly monitor the halls.

Its interesting that the FCC is joining in the fight to censor and control the internet this week. Wonder if they have instructed Simon on protocols here yet.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
As Stendhal observed:

"All religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of the few."

Now let's see........

Druid priesthood at Stonehenge, some 5,000 years ago obtaining tithes and fealty from their subjects because without this the dark and shortening days would go on forever.

One axis of the henge was cleverly lined up with the setting sun on December 21st. People were fearful.

Now the pitch is that unless taxes and government are hugely increased the Earth's climate is going to become catastrophically hot. Non-believers are scorned.

Perhaps to the equivalent of Hell.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I voted "approve". I Agree that policing would be tedious and difficult (fair and balanced--see what I mean). But I think the general rules of etiquette for BB users should be applied very strictly in the off-topic forum.
Another "Blue State" outlier to any regression by country/state/political leanings. I think that is because the free speech/censorship, red/blue relationship flips back and forth depending on context.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
"Net Neutrality" (don't you just love political euphemisticspeak) is only the tip of the "nanny" state iceberg plan. The FCC was designed for Ma Bell and telegrams, now the WWW. Mission creep? They want to pre-review your "apps" now! More bureaucrats to censor apps! It's a darn good thing that they are taking over the WWW so late or it never would have gotten started. We need to protect us from ourselves, and what someone else says, yet again. We are so stupid.

·
Registered
620 Posts
"Net Neutrality" (don't you just love political euphemisticspeak) is only the tip of the "nanny" state iceberg plan. The FCC was designed for Ma Bell and telegrams, now the WWW. Mission creep? They want to pre-review your "apps" now! More bureaucrats to censor apps! It's a darn good thing that they are taking over the WWW so late or it never would have gotten started. We need to protect us from ourselves, and what someone else says, yet again. We are so stupid.
I agree. Although likely to backfire, the intent is to prevent the powerful from blocking/suppressing internet access by small start-ups, which apparently happens all the time.

Are we going off topic?;)

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Religious and Political Postings on the BB

I agree. Although likely to backfire, the intent is to prevent the powerful from blocking/suppressing internet access by small start-ups, which apparently happens all the time.

If we are, we're at least in the right section...

Are you guys talking about a provision of COICA or an additional legislative proposal?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
Yup. Way off but so relevant to freedom.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes but pending the poll results certain topics might be censored. It is the censorship aspect that has taken a tangent, so not so far off base. Which goes back to my original question of has the poll led to any specific regulations as it is still open I suppose not. I kinda felt by asking it might start up a new debate.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Given that the vote is a tie, I would suggest that this thread be moved from "Suggestions" to "Off Topic" where it seems to want to go (and belong) anyway.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I kinda felt by asking it might start up a new debate.
:eek: The thread lasted 5 days and then went comatose for over 8 months. I suspect it will die quietly again once 'we' stop debating what the topic and result is or was. :D

Actually, the good part is, you got good conversation and two or so more people to vote who had not previously.

·
Registered
759 Posts
:eek: The thread lasted 5 days and then went comatose for over 8 months. I suspect it will die quietly again once 'we' stop debating what the topic and result is or was. :d

actually, the good part is, you got good conversation and two or so more people to vote who had not previously.
:) :) :) :) I enjoy the back and forth banter just as long as it does not get too personal or ugly. If people can respect each other and other opinions even when it's not what we believe personally then there would be no need for a poll like this. But I must agree the topic now belongs in the OFF TOPIC area.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
"Net Neutrality" (don't you just love political euphemisticspeak) is only the tip of the "nanny" state iceberg plan.
Looks like you have some reading up to do. I don't think anyone needs reminding of what a completely unregulated marketplace can lead to. Amazon, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Cogent and Google are all for it, which means something else than "nanny state". It means fertile ground for business.

But hey, getting screwed over by a business is better than being screwed over by the (or a) government? Right? Right?

Best regards,
Node #2 on the internet

·
Registered
4,871 Posts

Absolutely. That's what we do best... sometimes. Maybe we can look to the FCC to regulate topic integrity. 16,000 more FCC agents ought to do the trick!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
No wonder Europe is going broke.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i voted "allow"...and broke the tie!

IMO, it's better to provide a place for people to get the political/religious/other non-alfa stuff out of their systems...if we take that away, it will inevitably spill over into other threads where it isn't at all wanted or appropriate (moreso than it already does, anyhow).

FWIW, first amendment concerns about censorship and free speech are in no way applicable to the BB, legally or otherwise. they only come into play when the GOVERNMENT attempts to restrict speech. an internet forum is not a democracy, and AFAIK, simon is not the government...he's free to make whatever rules he likes, and we are obligated to follow them or be removed.

Exactly what I was thinking today, except stated much more kindly than I usually do;) I don't really think it is 50/50 either. Just that the blueish can't look away and in fact frequent any debate in order to try to kill it with name calling and censorship.
aren't you the one who earlier in this very thread accused someone of "drinking again", and recently inserted out of nowhere a political rant into a thread about proposed rules regarding the 'for sale' section (based on the same fundamental misunderstanding of censorship you display in the quote above)? pot call the kettle black much? :rolleyes:

81 - 100 of 109 Posts