Votes: 46 48.9%
  • I prefer it to "NOT BE ALLOWED"

Votes: 48 51.1%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
The problem arises when people want to sue the BB.

This costs the moderators time and money and could possibly bankrupt the board.

Even if kept in the off topic section subjects that raise people's blood pressure will attract a type of member whose attitudes will seep over into other parts of the board.

Civility will loose out.

Keep the board Alfa only.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I hated at least two of the political and religious threads -- and chose to ignore them (not reading or responding to them) going forward. So, I voted "I prefer it to BE ALLOWED".

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The problem arises when people want to sue the BB.

This costs the moderators time and money and could possibly bankrupt the board.
How would that play out legally? Is it possible to sue a board/ monitors? What is "sueable" and on what grounds? And what damages can be sued for?

Any legal experts here on this? Maldi, seems you know that area. Can you elaborate?

Isn't this addressed in the policies everybody needs to accept when signing up to post on this board?

While I voted to allow based on the (self-) policing of the board, freedom of speech and freedom to ignore certain topics, a legal threat to the community could put a different spin on things but requires to really know what can be done and what is smoke and mirrors.

Mike

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
make it easy.. this is an 'alfa romeo ; site....cars, trucks, buses, boats... i would go a wee bit further.. nice 'Italian' things, like bicycles, campagnolo , girls.. food, girls..motorcycles, girls

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Religious and Political Postings on the bb

How would that play out legally? Is it possible to sue a board/ monitors? What is "sueable" and on what grounds? And what damages can be sued for?

Any legal experts here on this? Maldi, seems you know that area. Can you elaborate?

Isn't this addressed in the policies everybody needs to accept when signing up to post on this board?

While I voted to allow based on the (self-) policing of the board, freedom of speech and freedom to ignore certain topics, a legal threat to the community could put a different spin on things but requires to really know what can be done and what is smoke and mirrors.

Mike
There are several attorneys on the bb with various subject specific law areas; some who currently practice and others who do not.

AFA someone threatening to sue Simon or the bb; there has only been one recent case TMK; last year shortly after the Portland convention. That member was banned, but does reappear as various log-ons.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I voted (is this political????) to not allow these messages. My religious and political views are my own, and to discus them in an open forum such as the AlfaBB could only create hate and discontent among the members whose comment irritate me, or how my views might upset others.

That said, if they are allowed to continue on the AlfaBB, and if the posts are kept within the "Off Topic Forum", I don't care if they are here, I don't have to read them. But if they stray into the other forums/threads, they should be deleted by a moderator without question or notice, the posts not the users, unless it's determined that someone is posting malicious comments direct toward another user.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
We seem to have an interloper giving bad attitude on the following thread:

"Technical Forums/Engine Conversions/ "New Turbo GTV (crazy car)"

Would it be appropriate to delete this thread?

Robert
Actually, I believe Simon needs to approve every post. Why only censor obviously political, and not the slightly left handed political posts that are usually a star trek photo, politic and religion lite. Scientific threads seem to evolve to a world of their own. This is nuts even if we seem to have a lot of volunteers to monitor the halls and ensure everything is done their way. Sheesh.
Always the victim, Bob. In fact I never stated that you were "too old" and therefore couldn't grasp the issues; I never used the word "old" at all. I pointed out that you were claiming expertise in a scientific disciplne based on a degree obtained 50 years ago. My clear implication was that geophysics had moved on since you studied it. But instead of reading that obvious implication, you jumped at being a victim then, and you continue to wallow in this fictional victimization, at what must be something like 2 years later. Please stop dragging me into nonsense like this.

And with that, I'll stop.
And the attacks continue, over quasi political topics. Where is this line again? Stop in a pigs eye.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts

Mike
What I am speaking about can be found in this post:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/anything-about-alfa-romeos-alfabb-com/154495-do-you-support-stu-schallers-dreceterini-banning-alfabb-5.html#post778624

specifically this quote: "spent $$$$ protecting ourselves from legal issues resulting from your personal battles"

It did not involve politics or religion specifically, but it did involve the AlfaBB and its main moderator in a way that was not good for either.

I love the BB and am a subscriber, but I don't want to contribute my cash to its legal defense fund.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

What I am speaking about can be found in this post:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/anything-about-alfa-romeos-alfabb-com/154495-do-you-support-stu-schallers-dreceterini-banning-alfabb-5.html#post778624

specifically this quote: "spent $$$$ protecting ourselves from legal issues resulting from your personal battles"

It did not involve politics or religion specifically, but it did involve the AlfaBB and its main moderator in a way that was not good for either.

I love the BB and am a subscriber, but I don't want to contribute my cash to its legal defense fund.
That's the poster I was referring to --- this happened shortly after the Portland convention; but the feud between he and the other banned party had been on-going for years and some of the threads between them were considerably over the line AFA insults and inappropriate public behavior and as I recall posting of threatening pictures.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
I am not a lawyer. I do, however, do some work on the side for a forum that hosts public messages so I'm reasonably familiar with the laws on this matter.

Basically, under federal law (the Digital Millennium Communications Act, specifically) forums like the AlfaBB are immune from prosecution as a result of posts made by third parties. In the case of libel claims, for example, the BB can take the posts down or leave them up at their discretion. The original poster can, of course, be sued directly.

ISPs and forums have pretty clear rights to leave posts up or take them down at their choice, really. So don't p-ss Simon off.

In the case of copyright claims, there is a takedown and notification procedure that sites need to follow if copyrighted material is pointed out to them by the copyright owner. Assuming they comply with properly formatted copyright claims and the "safe harbor" provisions of the DMCA then a forum is not liable for damages for third-party copyright violations either.

Some good reading here:

Chilling Effects Clearinghouse
FAQ about DMCA Safe Harbor -- Chilling Effects Clearinghouse
FAQ about Defamation -- Chilling Effects Clearinghouse

I've been threatened by lawyers over claims of third-party defamation and libel many a time, and usually a reference to the relevant section of federal law shuts them right up.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

I am not a lawyer. I do, however, do some work on the side for a forum that hosts public messages so I'm reasonably familiar with the laws on this matter.

Basically, under federal law (the Digital Millennium Communications Act, specifically) forums like the AlfaBB are immune from prosecution as a result of posts made by third parties. In the case of libel claims, for example, the BB can take the posts down or leave them up at their discretion. The original poster can, of course, be sued directly.

ISPs and forums have pretty clear rights to leave posts up or take them down at their choice, really. So don't p-ss Simon off.

In the case of copyright claims, there is a takedown and notification procedure that sites need to follow if copyrighted material is pointed out to them by the copyright owner. Assuming they comply with properly formatted copyright claims and the "safe harbor" provisions of the DMCA then a forum is not liable for damages for third-party copyright violations either.

Some good reading here:

Chilling Effects Clearinghouse
FAQ about DMCA Safe Harbor -- Chilling Effects Clearinghouse
FAQ about Defamation -- Chilling Effects Clearinghouse

I've been threatened by lawyers over claims of third-party defamation and libel many a time, and usually a reference to the relevant section of federal law shuts them right up.
I am not an attorney either, but have found it in my best interest to know the rules lately...

E-bay does not use the Chilling Effect Clearinghouse as part of their copyright removal procedure. They are, however, very prompt about removing copyrighted material when notified.

Google, which owns Picassa, does use the the Chilling Effect Clearinghouse and offers many more disclosures about the effect of filing a copyright claim and what is encumbant on each party as a result. They are equally as prompt about removal with the proper paperwork filed.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
the feud between he and the other banned party had been on-going for years and some of the threads between them were considerably over the line AFA insults and inappropriate public behavior and as I recall posting of threatening pictures.
Banning is effective in toning down the attacks, as both are still here under different names and so far its quiet. Lawsuits are equally a weenies ineffective threat, but I can say, I will no longer pay for the bboard as it is being proposed by the vocal few. :( What, 71 voters out of supposedly 26,000 plus members, right, and how many of you voted twice! I have only one vote, but I bet lots of you have more.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Thanks for those responses on the legal consequences. Will look into it a bit later. Do we feel with this, the board and those who run it are protected optimally in any case?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Thanks for those responses on the legal consequences. Will look into it a bit later. Do we feel with this, the board and those who run it are protected optimally in any case?
Like I said, I'm in the same boat with a different website I'm helping run. I can't speak for Simon, but as for myself I feel the law is pretty clear.

Personally if I were running the BB I would not have any significant concerns about being sued for slander/defamation/crazy ranting that somebody else posts on the BB. My only suggestion might be for Simon to make sure the site agreement is clear about the rules and his rights as owner (i.e., that he can remove posts or not depending on his mood or boot your a$$ if he sees fit).

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,154 Posts
Banning is effective in toning down the attacks, as both are still here under different names and so far its quiet. Lawsuits are equally a weenies ineffective threat, but I can say, I will no longer pay for the bboard as it is being proposed by the vocal few. :( What, 71 voters out of supposedly 26,000 plus members, right, and how many of you voted twice! I have only one vote, but I bet lots of you have more.
?People can have duplicate accounts on here? isn't there software to stop this or is that being naive?

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

?People can have duplicate accounts on here? isn't there software to stop this or is that being naive?
I only have one account, but where there's a will there's a way. I imagine just signing up with a different user ID and password is possible, although, I've not tried it. As long as you pick something unique that isn't already in use, I don't know that it would be caught.

There was no personal identifying information asked for when I registered, as I recall, like where p*rn sites ask for a cc number under the theory that you have to be 18 to have a cc.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Well, yes you are apparently naive. I could, but wont, establish dozens of accounts here. There are few real people here, not the thousands one might like to think. We are a very small community and need to get along as one.:)

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Well, yes you are apparently naive. I could, but wont, establish dozens of accounts here. There are few real people here, not the thousands one might like to think. We are a very small community and need to get along as one.:)
Oh really?!?!?!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Is that another of those "left-wing conspiracies", RC? There are LOTS of "real people" here, and they post frequently! There are also plenty of 'lurkers', but it's just plain wrong to say "there are few real people here".

I have only one account here, and it is under my real name, with my real e-mail and phone number out there so all can see. I stand behind whatever I say, here or anywhere else.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts