Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6 (Maratona)
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I lost the gas cap to my GTV6 and picked one (1) up that was missing a key. I took it to my local locksmith and they rekeyed the lock mechanisms with a “ilco F91 C8” key blank. Just FYI, so far works perfect (yet I work the old lock gingerly).

IMG_1149[1].JPG IMG_1148[1].JPG

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Very nice! I did this with my spider trunk lock.
If you are concerned about the lock being old and the pins getting stuck, you can always get some dry graphite and shoot it into the key hole. It’s not a liquid, so it won’t attract dirt and crud and seize up the pins like grease would.

Reactions: Sobol

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Wow, that is lucky! When I first got my GTV6 running and was ready to take it on its first proper road trip, the gas cap lock broke at the gas station. I had not researched the rarity and price of GTV6 gas caps, so I took it to my shop and broke the lock and plastic part off, filled the tank and enjoyed the trip.

After I got home, I saw the prices of the few gas caps on eBay! I use only the metal threaded portion of the cap to this day :)

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6 (Maratona)
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shortly after bringing this car home I lost the gas cap and destroyed the rubber flex coupler on the filler neck. Being new to Alfa, I was not aware that these components were made of Unobtanium. I assumed these items would be available at the auto parts store. I soon learned this was not reality.

I did see something on Facebook yesterday that someone has run a new batch of GTV6 gas caps. They anticipate shipping the first run of product within a few weeks. I believe they may only be making the bayonet style in this run, so no threaded type. I do hope the quality is good and the price is reasonable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts