Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Reinz cam cover gasket for my '74 Spider and was told by IAP "The bead will go on the cover side. Also use some sealer like Hylomar on the head side."
So when I have to take the cover off it will stick to the head. My old one was the other way around but it wasn't a Reinz.
Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
I use Centerline's 'reusable' cam cover gasket (not sure who makes it). I attach it to the cam cover with a thin smear of RTV silicone gasket sealant then put a smear of oil on the surface that contacts the head. That way the gasket stays on the cam cover and doesn't stick to the head.

Don't over tighten the cam cover bolts. The threads are easy to strip and, if over tightened the gasket is likely to slip out of position.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GHNL,
That's what I would would do except the Reinz gasket has a bead of silicone on one side.

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
the Reinz cam cover gaskets should have the blue bead of "silicone" (or whatever you call it) facing UP - you should NOT need to put Hylomar on a healthy straight cam cover -
always use new half moons and you never, ever, should overtighten the cam bolts. Use mid range specified torque only, and tighten strictly in sequence as per the manual. When you take it off there is no crap to clean off. The beauty is (we all remember the old gaskets that squeezed out of position upon tightening!) the bead on the gasket stops it squeezing out.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
DON"T USE HYLOMAR. Read posts about it clogging the oil pump pickup. They are true. I have an unbranded gasket that has been on the cam cover for years during which time the cover has been on and off many times. I glued it to the cover with contact cement and I use Permatex RTV on the underside. The gasket stays attached to the cover and it does not leak

·
Registered
452 Posts
The IAP instructions appear to be backwards. I placed the bead on the head side and used Permatex #2 on the non-beaded cam cover side. Very few cam covers are flat and gouge-free, so the Permatex is cheap, easy insurance against leaks on that side.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I reused my old gasket by cleaning it with Dawn and hot water, coating the head side a thin smear of RTV, let it dry several days while waiting for parts, then assembling with a very thin bead of wet RTV on the cover side. Very minimal squeeze-out. The dried RTV on the head side of the gasket serves the same purpose as the silicone bead on the Reinz gasket. I'll know how well it works when I finally get this thing back together. Anyone do anything to seal the cover nuts? I used an O-ring of RTV under the washers.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
One of Jon Norman's green reuseable gaskets has been on my GTV for nearly a decade. It goes on with bead side up. The beauty of this type of gasket is that it actually works as advertised. It seals. It allows multiple reuses. It doesn't require sealant.

Don't know about anyone else, but I hate scraping goo off of cylinder heads.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. Thus the reason for my question. I'd rather clean goo off the cover rather than the head.
Thanks All

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
Hi Kent,
The cam cover that you are getting from me has the gasket attached to it.

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts