Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the fuel tank is out and off being refurbished.There was some serious goop holding that tank in. I'll clean the dried crud from the car and the tank will come back clean. What product should one use here? One edge of it sits just 2 or 3 inches from the rear muffler. I'm sure there are a few solutions in tubes but does anyone have suggestions?

·
9,938 Posts
I used strips of closed cell foam - from the home improvement store.
Same here. The window insulation is the right width, thickness, and has an adhesive backing that keeps it in place. Poke screw holes in the insulation with an awl after dropping the tank back in place.

It would be difficult to apply a layer of goo from a tube that would have a consistent thickness (at least difficult for me).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so no elastoplastic goop. The stuff you're both describing is dry right? I thought the goop had a, like a vibrational aspect?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
When I repainted my very original Duetto fuel tank, I found it was mounted with a rubber gasket. NLA, so I made one out of strip rubber and some crazy glue (it sticks the ends of rubber together to make a "square"). The tank is heavy when full, so vibration will beauty the paint and sheet metal; rubber is a good cushion.

Robert

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will not use goop.

Tomorrow is a busy day. I bring the tank to be serviced and order the various fuel lines and fuel filters. So who do I order from and develop a relationship with? It's not going to be Classicalfa in the UK because their shipping charges are outrageous! I'm sure they all do an excellent job, but I'm here in VA so Centerline seems OK right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts