Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a problem with my Spider´76. It has been cleaned of oxide and repainted, but i think there is a problem with the chassis. Maybe it is bent.

I heard about to make a reinforcer for the bodywork.

Can anybody help me or talk about it?

Thanks in advice.
G.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
You need to be more specific as to what kind of problem you think you have. On a 39 year old Spider you most likely need new suspension and steering components such as tie rods, ball joints, shocks and maybe even tires. The rear axle is held in place by a reaction trunion that has two chassis to body mounting bushings with plastic spacers that, over time, get broken and go missing and a third bushing where it connects to the differential. Also two trailing arms with bushings at each end. All of these can cause bad handling and ride quality.

There is a device called a chassis stiffener but it will not solve problems caused by worn suspension and steering components so you need to start with that stuff first.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
A common problem with these cars is rust in the door sills. Open both doors and you will realize that the sills are the entire stiffness of the body. They are very complicated, with thee different layers of shaped sheet metal, each of which contributes to the body stiffness. They were not rust-proofed internally, and the little water drains often get clogged, leading to a lot if internal rust.

There are many threads here on repairing the sills. Replacement sheetmetal is available, but the job is not trivial.

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
This is an extreme case - an eBay buy that needed "a little TLC". When I opened the doors the shell started to collapse and when I picked it up the nose just about fell off. As Robert said, the sills are a very important structural component and could lead to catastrophic failure if left to rot.

It would have been a complete disaster if not for the magnesium wheels - selling those paid for the whole car and then some...

P1060280.JPG

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
One of the important things to do if you are trying to rescue a body with weak sills:

Remove the doors, then weld a 1 inch square tube across the top pf the door openings (from the hinge line to the door lock pillar, not across the outer body), and add diagonal braces as well (top front to bottom rear, top rear to bottom front). This will hold the front and back together while you take apart the rotten sills.

This one is going to be hard to rescue - you'll need to kludge a frame support to hold the front and rear in place. There is a thread here with the exact dimensions (I'll see if I can find one) of the body structure.

Glad you got some worthwhile parts already. Might be better to sell panels.....

Robert

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
This is an extreme case - an eBay buy that needed "a little TLC". When I opened the doors the shell started to collapse and when I picked it up the nose just about fell off. As Robert said, the sills are a very important structural component and could lead to catastrophic failure if left to rot.

It would have been a complete disaster if not for the magnesium wheels - selling those paid for the whole car and then some...

View attachment 796538
Road visibility would be excellent. You might be onto a great idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Robert, this one long ago slipped the surly bonds of earth. Just pulled the picture out of the archives. It was far to far gone to consider restoring but it did provide a number of important parts for other projects.
I don't suppose you have a piece of the LH front inner & outer wing (fender), from the battery tray forward (where it curves down)??

ie. mine is toast.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts