Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Do you support these suggestions?

• Yes, I do. (Good idea).

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • No, I don't. (Bad idea).

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I don't care. (No opinion).

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Huh? (I don't understand what the fuzz is about).

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Pat Braden said:
There are some of us who value our privacy and don't need anymore information that can be Googled about us out there.....
Couldn't agree more on the subject of privacy etc, however i fail to see how nominating a country of residence is going help anybody steal your identity.

I too, would like to see the country of a member, or poster as it helps me determine the value of the information (to me) and usually the attitudes and tone presented.

The entire world does not live in North America

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
RE: Regrouping of AlfaBB Forums

Craig_m67 said:
Couldn't agree more on the subject of privacy etc, however i fail to see how nominating a country of residence is going help anybody steal your identity.

I too, would like to see the country of a member, or poster as it helps me determine the value of the information (to me) and usually the attitudes and tone presented.

The entire world does not live in North America
Thank goodness, it's pretty crowded already.

I interpreted the original comment that I responded to with a much narrower focus than you apparently did, especially with California being the last item in the list. I will be happy to post North America, U.S., or Anywhere, USA etc. if that will make some of you happier.

FWIW, I thought California was a state on the western coast of the U.S. bordering the Pacific Ocean. I didn't realize it had attained country designation or status. That will give me something to research today in my spare time.

Cheryl

(Not an authority nor SME
on anything, just PATSYF)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Pat Braden said:
FWIW, I thought California was a state on the western coast of the U.S. bordering the Pacific Ocean. I didn't realize it had obtained country designation or status. That will give me something to research today in my spare time.
Good for you :rolleyes:

When i think of South America i think of Ecuador to Ushuaia (Arg).. when i think North America I simply tag all of the USA. I'd never lump Canada in there because i've met too many nice Canadians...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Americans just say they're canadians when they go abroad so they dont get picked on and asked whether they support Dubya and the War on.. er.. something.
Unfortunately Aussies cant take on another persona, and we get lugged with the late Steve Irwin or Paul Hogan... or some other horrible stereotype of low intelligence and misrepresentation.

You have to get them to say "about" to prove it.... Canadians say "aboot".

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Pat Braden said:
Thank goodness, it's pretty crowded already.

FWIW, I thought California was a state on the western coast of the U.S. bordering the Pacific Ocean. I didn't realize it had attained country designation or status. That will give me something to research today in my spare time.

Cheryl

http://www.magazine.org/Editorial/40-40-covers/4.jpg

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
No one has heard of the People's Republic of California??

I think CA should pull out of the Union. It would be one of the richest countries in the world, not to mention, it's rich in resources...:)

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
py105 said:
Americans just say they're canadians when they go abroad so they dont get picked on and asked whether they support Dubya and the War on.. er.. something.
Unfortunately Aussies cant take on another persona, and we get lugged with the late Steve Irwin or Paul Hogan... or some other horrible stereotype of low intelligence and misrepresentation.

You have to get them to say "about" to prove it.... Canadians say "aboot".
I travel extensively outside of the US (about half the year) and I've never seen or been with an American that falsified their origin. I am proud of the fact that I'm an American and if somebody has a problem with that, that's their problem. The relatively low, but constant, din of anti-American slights and suttle insults grows tiresome sometimes, but I just consider the source and motivation and it rolls off my back.

I haven't been to Australia in a few years, but always had a good time and felt warmly welcomed there.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Roadtrip said:
....the relatively low, but constant, din of anti-American slights and suttle insults grows tiresome sometimes, but I just consider the source and motivation and it rolls off my back.
nailed it right there i think.

for the record, i wasn't sledging americans, simply making an observation about most all canadians i've met who don't want to be mistaken for one.
i thought this was an international forum, mistaken obvioulsy.

·
Premium Member
26,730 Posts
My two cents worth: Since 164 tech advisor position I hold with AROC due to my postings on this site and 164 forum has taken on a life of it's own I have been trying to just answer threads under 164 menu but do occasionally click on new posts which brought me here today.

I sold off all my Alfas but the 164 model as my brain is in overload with Too Much Info (TMI) already from all that is going on in my life so I try not to overload my postings with non 164 data but I do digress occasionally.

This is a super site but we all digress (me included in out posts) so search function a helpful tool that can be more valuable if post includes the type model series discussing. Country of origin of poster helpful but not necessary if type model series defined along with things like LHD/RHD especially in the 164 arena.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Craig_m67 said:
nailed it right there i think.

for the record, i wasn't sledging americans, simply making an observation about most all canadians i've met who don't want to be mistaken for one.
i thought this was an international forum, mistaken obvioulsy.
That is true. Canadians, having such a small relative population, being right next to the US, and using English as their primary language (I know about Quebec), and having a de-facto open border with the US, tend to get blurred in with Americans . . . and it generally irritates them. If you want to get a Canuk roused-up, give'm a few (err . . . probably even more) Molsons and ask him when Canada became the 51st state.

When I lived up in Grand Forks North Dakota close to the border, on the weekends you'd see mostly Winnipeg license plates at the local Mall, while up in Winnipeg you'd see an awlful lot of Dakota license plates.

With regards to Aussies, the history and ethos of the two countries is similar . . . . self-reliance, rugged individualism, and enterprise.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
And don't take my comments as anti-American sentiment either, our little island would be rather screwed without them. I have met someone who said they were Canadian but weren't - perhaps they had some other issues... :?

Most of the left wing hippies over here are calling Australia the 51st state now due to the recent partnerships... We might have to be 52 then, with a designator AU :)

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
nero said:
Its spelled Winnipeg,eh.
Sorry, my brain's just starting to thaw after 6 winters in Grand Forks, and that was 15 years ago. I have to say that the Nodaks and Canuks are a pretty darn hardy bunch. It's a pretty severe natural selection process up on the northern plains. Burned up a automatic transmission one winter when it got so cold that the transmission fluid congealed in the oil cooler.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Jim:
You said
If you want to get a Canuk roused-up, give'm a few (err . . . probably even more) Molsons.....
Every time we've visited relatives in the sticks (Val Alain,PQ) it was Labatt 50 they were drinking while rolling their cigarettes....:D

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
All this talk about reorganization and look how disorganised this thread has become!

I grew up in Canada and I find most Australians are quite good at telling the difference between accents or ask if they aren’t sure. I have never seen or heard of any Americans pretending to be Canadians over here, seems ridiculous to me.

The only reason I like to make sure people know im Canadian is because its my place of birth and even tho I have been in aus for 6 years now I still have a sense of Canadian pride. Think of it as a New Zealander going overseas and being constantly mistaken as an Aussie, im sure they will always be quick to correct everyone.

I think it is pretty slack some of the comments about the yanks on this board, especially coming from the Aussies and its really obvious too. And I wouldn’t be surprised if most of them have not been to the US or even outside of this country.

I have been all over the US and enjoyed it immensely. Like every country it has its good and bad sides, and this is what makes it interesting at the end of the day.

I think the Americans on the AlfaBB are the most well informed I have come across and considering the traffic on the board arguments and politics are kept to a minimum. I cant see things staying this way for very long with all the little snide comments, and this goes for peoples cars too. It bothers me how certain people always have to put in their little negative comments about peoples cars, hardly ever constructive critisism, even if using things like :rolleyes: and ;) its still going to rub people up the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
And to make a suggestion... I have noticed in other forums they have a FAQ sticky.

This could work well in certain threads. It wouldnt take too long to set up with the help of others, simply thinking of certain topics that get asked a lot and using the search function to find relevant threads that have been discussed in detail before.

Once the most suitable thread(s) have been found they can be posted. This will help many people find stuff more quickly.

Here is an example of what the sticky might look like for say... the GT105 thread:

Exhaust:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=26319&highlight=exhaust

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=20606&highlight=exhaust

Suspension

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=11687&highlight=suspension

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=9907&highlight=suspension

And so on......

This list can be simple or very detailed and quite long.

This is a good system because it cleans up a lot of clutter and when really good threads happen they can easily be added for future refrence.

Of course all these links would need to be kept in the first post of the sticky so someone would have to keep it updated with BB member suggestions and additions. I can give it a go... let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
GoldCloverLeaf said:
I think it is pretty slack some of the comments about the yanks on this board, especially coming from the Aussies and its really obvious too. And I wouldn’t be surprised if most of them have not been to the US or even outside of this country.

.. I cant see things staying this way for very long with all the little snide comments

Dude .. people have their opinions, it's what makes us all a little bit more interesting than the last person we argued / conversed with. Who the F uck are you to tell somebody that they're slack for having whatever opinion about whatever subject.. six years down under has obvioulsy been easy for you.

And for what it's worth, i've lived and worked in the USA, South America, Cuba, EU and am currently in London. So please don't tell me what to think about people, or how to interpret my experiences, there's already enough vertical mediocraty for the stupidest of us.

My 2nd to a suggestion was for the posters country of origin.. it makes the determination of 'tone' and relevance a lot easier..

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Hmm I wasnt going to say anything either but I think you went a bit OTT GCL.. I don't think either Craig or myself were sprouting anti-US vitriol or putting all Americans in one basket.

If anything in fact, this board has shown to me that there are heaps of great people in the US. Yeah, the US has it's ugly side, but then so does Australia - can't gloss over events like Cronulla, Woomera/Baxter etc.

And for the record, I've travelled fairly extensively too and I'm half dutch, so hey, I get the whole "world outside of my own country" thing.

Cheers

21 - 40 of 48 Posts