Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Do you support these suggestions?

• Yes, I do. (Good idea).

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • No, I don't. (Bad idea).

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I don't care. (No opinion).

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Huh? (I don't understand what the fuzz is about).

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AlfaBB is growing rapidly. It won’t be very long (maybe a couple of months) until there will be 250,000 posts and, maybe 3-6 months until AlfaBB has 10,000 members. These are remarkable numbers. Equally remarkable is the fact that AlfaBB has only 3 administrators, who do a really good job at:
(a) staying neutral (not imposing their own opinions),
(b) staying out of the way of the good and bad (not abusing their power) and,
(c) improving AlfaBB, without bragging about it.

I don't know how many of you have noticed the new forums "Transmissions" and "Engine Management". While I welcome these additions, they also introduce a certain amount of clutter. Therefore, I’m suggesting the following changes to AlfaBB:

#1: Split the "Alfa Romeo Technical Forums" into two the following two groups (by introducing a new, green title bar between them):

- Car model related (i.e. the forums that currently appear between "GT (1965-1974)" and "Limited Production (1910-1949)".

- Function related (i.e. the forums that currently appear between "Carburetors & Fuel Injection" and "Restoration for your Alfa Romeo".

#2: Reorganize the order in which these forums appear:

- For the model specific group, I would group them by year of introduction (newest first, which I think is very important if/when Alfa comes back to North America).

- For the system specific group, the sequence can be somewhat arbitrary. Alfa changed their mind several times about the organization and structuring of parts catalogues and technical service bulletins. These topics could be organized similar to the sequence in the parts catalogues, but leaving room for somewhat more generic topics that the Alfa parts catalogues could never cover, such as "Restoration for your Alfa Romeo" and "Engine Conversions").

The trigger for this thread was that I saw the two new forums mentioned above and thought immediately thought that the "Carburetors & Fuel Injection" and "Engine Management" forums really should be next to each other.

The poll attached to this thread will stay open for 30 days. The poll is meant as a feedback mechanism for all participants of AlfaBB. I, for one, would like to get an idea if other people (like you) support these suggestions.

BTW: This is not a critique. I don't think there is a "master plan" for AlfaBB or life in general. Therefore, some things, such as the grouping of information on AlfaBB, have to be tried out to see if they work. We can always change our minds (to me, a very important aspect of "freedom"). If you are, like me, on the way of becoming an old fart, you may have noticed that, every once in a while, even the rules of a language change and that there is some authority that can change the rules of what is "correct" and "incorrect" for any given language. I'm perfectly aware that "forums" is incorrect English and should be called "fora." But I believe that 50 years from now (and probably much sooner) it will be perfectly acceptable to say "forums" instead of "fora" and that AlfaBB will be much better.

Hope this helps,

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Brilliant Ruedi!!

I really appreciate all the feedback and your organizational expertise. I think it’s a great idea. Let's wait for the rest of the collective to vote/comment before I start moving things around.

With all of the growth I sometimes get stuck focusing on certain parts of the site. Lately I have been working on moving the site to a larger, faster, more secure server and keeping up with the daily barrage of email (how do I post, register, etc...). Posts like this help me to refocus so thank you and keep the feedback coming.

PS – Did you say Alfa Romeo is coming back to the USA? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
This may be heresy but I think it would be expedient to combine all the transaxle cars into one forum. Their similarities outweigh their differences.

This would cover 1972-1992 from the Alfetta sedan to the SZ.

OK, flame away! :)

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Make that four! I don't go to any specific forum, just check new posts. However, this works for me since I primarily answer questions, not start new threads. For those that check only specific forums, like me checking just the GTV forum when I was a newbie, the experiences and knowledge of fellow Alfisti may be missed. On many occaisions, I've seen a question in the wrong forum. This may be quite simply because the poster did not know that there is a forum specific to which the question would be better suited and therefore receive more responses.
So, yes. I think it's a good idea.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I also hit new posts and scan for something interesting,off to look at akitmans updates see ya later.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'd say leave it as it is - except maybe somehow rework the "Anything to do with Alfas and Alfabb.com" thread which is just huge and full of unrelated garbage half the time.

Ruedi you say that it's remarkable that there are only 3 moderators - I dont see this as remarkable I see this as verging on stupidity on a forum with 10000 members. Granted, 10000 members are not active but it is one of the bigger forums Im a part of and yet it has the smallest moderator group. For instance sniady never posts anymore, Simon (smestas) is clearly run off his feet and God knows who the other mod is. Anyone? I think there are some gaps in the moderation of the forum that could be more effectively managed and the Mr.O/Schaller thing is a good example of "tins of worms" not being nipped in the bud. (I gotta stop using metaphors).

A few other thoughts.

I think the current arrangement of threads is not so good for an equal representation of whats on the BB. For instance recently Ive been trawling through the 1900/2000/2600 and Limited Production area and found a great wealth of information and entertaining topics and Id hate to think some people just never scroll down to the long list of other models and take a peek in there. I think that aspect could be improved.

2. I think the 105 series cars need to cleaned up a bit. As a berlina owner If i have an Engine problem, I effectively could get help from S1 Spider owners, GT owners and Sedan owners. Problem is, the Sedan forum hardly gets breathed on - so its actually more beneficial for me to post in the GT forum - but then my topic is a little.. off topic is it not???

I dont know how youd fix this exactly but it gives you an idea of the difficulties. For instance, I had a brake problem recently, so I hesistantly posted a topic in the sedan forum. 9 days later someone posted, and then I had a flood of posts, from 105GT, Spider and 116 owners who for whatever reason on their once-a-month wander into the Sedan forum saw a thread on brakes that they could help out on.

Lastly but certainly not least - GET RID OF OLD MEMBERS WHO DONT POST!!! This is why we need more moderators. We need to go through and delete the people who have never posted, or people who have had no activity for... Lets say 6-12 months, whatever, pick a figure. And make that quite clear when you register, that if you dont post or dont login, more importantly to the board then your registration is cancelled. Other forums do this and it cleans up things a lot. Take a click on the Members List page one day soon, each page is made up, about 50-70% of people with less than 50 posts, most of them havent logged in since 2004 or 2005.

So we dont really have 10000 people at all.. I would say more like 2000 regular contributors.

anyway, thats my little rant.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Hahaha this is quite funny. I just did a little search on the Member list to see how many inactive members we have. This was the criteria:

No posts after 30/12/2005

And this is what it sent back to me:

Showing results 1 to 100 of 4545
Search took 1.00 second
So... 57% of our current membership is inactive.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
I think you are failing to realize that although a large percentage of the site members are not posting or replying doesn’t necessarily mean that they are not using the site. To use features such as PM's, emails, thread subscriptions, d-load attachments, etc... You need to be a member. So for us to delete their accounts would not be right. I can remember just being a forum reader for over a year until I finally decided to start posting. I don’t know why any site would delete user accounts because of non-activity?

An interesting statistic is that about 1% of the members are Thread creators. About 19% of the members like to mostly just reply and the other 80% just like to read. This seems to be fairly normal numbers as far as social websites are concerned.

The other site Moderator is Anthony "italcarguy" who is constantly on the site as much as anyone else. Sniady pretty much has a full time Job that doesn’t allow him much computer access so most of the moderating is being done by Anthony and me.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
py105 said:
Ruedi you say that it's remarkable that there are only 3 moderators - I don't see this as remarkable I see this as verging on stupidity on a forum with 10000 members.
We have been talking over all the pros and cons of adding additional moderators. For the most part the community is pretty self policed and not to much drama besides a certain few. We have been getting some spam lately but usually catch it thanks to members reporting them.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I agree - and the forum is well behaved because it's frequented generally by mature gentleman rather than teen computer geeks. Tubut has highlighted the growth rate however and I don't know if 3 moderators are going to successfully keep up with that.

I dont want to sound like Im harping, because i sincerely love this forum and I think you guys do a great job of running it - just my concerns going forward.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
There are several good suggestions in this thread. Coincidentally, I was recently thinking of requesting/suggesting a forum reorganization as well. My thinking was along the lines of separating mechanical topics even further. As an example, engine related topics could be organized by engine size or type. The majority of us have 1600/1750/2000 variants under the hood, yet related information can be buried in the model specific forums. How about the GT, Spider, Sedan, etc. forums contain information specific to those models only? All engine maintenance and repair information could be contained in an engine specific forum. I am most familiar with the GT forum, which contains tons of information that could be useful for others. I just want to share the wealth with all my Spider and Sedan brethren. :rolleyes:

BTW, I think it's a great move that the search and image functions no longer work for non-registered users. Hopefully these added features will encourage increased 'enrollment', all in an effor to thwart those dastardly lurkers. :D The downside of these limitations is that I can no longer lurk while at work.

Regarding the AlfaBB Moderators, Simon, Anthony and Snaidy have done an amazing job over the years. I often wondered if additional help was needed and I've wanted to volunteer my assistance. Unfortunately, my life/work/family no longer allow me to spend nearly as much time here as I used to.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
House Cleaning

Hey Guys:

I think reorganization is a pretty good idea and yes I agree with Simon on the use of the board by members who don't post. I bet most of you wish I wouldn't post as I fairly offen have little constructive to contribute. I do lurk alot and really think the board is building up a community and an archive of technical wealth that was only found in old obscure ALFA manuals and Owner technical articles. From that point I'd like to suggest if reorganization can make the board better by allowing better access, is it time to also consider some house cleaning? There is a lot of historical stuff that is nothing more than garbage. Should this stuff be purged? Maybe it doesn't matter. What is the limitations of the equipment that is being used to store and archive the information? Just some thoughts.......... Now you can purge this. :D

P.S. Oh...Another thing. I really like to see where people are from. China, Thailand, California; I wish everyone would put in there location.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
First let I’d like to thank Simon for this awesome site. Twenty years of casual Alfa ownership is now much closer to an obsession.

To the point: The risk of some of the recommendations about reorganizing the site are, in my opinion, pitfalls: a Pandora’s Box.

No site, can accommodate, no less legislate, all the variations of Postwar Alfas. Marginalization would become patently obsessive:
What of just “hoses and clamps?” Or “Niki Lauda models.” It would be an endless administrative trap.

No doubt there will continued change (Save John’s S's savant like repository of all things Spica- God Bless!)

Change is good. But directed reorganization – in my opinion – could lead to endless redundancy.

P.S. Can we have a link about Heater Blower Motors for 74 115 series—mine is on the blink:)

Thanks all

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Little Italian said:
Hey Guys:

P.S. Oh...Another thing. I really like to see where people are from. China, Thailand, California; I wish everyone would put in there location.
There are some of us who value our privacy and don't need anymore information that can be Googled about us out there.....do not want our name all over the Internet or where we live. I tend to use Pat's Michigan address, so if you'd like I could post that.....which brings up another thought, if I do this, I'm sure there are others who have not posted correctly where they live to protect themselves and their families privacy.

If the thought process as I read through was that in order to lurk you have to post, no thank you. This will be my last post with requirements like that.

Cheryl

(not an authority nor SME
on anything, just PATSYF)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts