Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't got the cams back or the heads but here are the specs for my cams from Delta Camshaft. The final bill for both cams and six exhaust tappets/followers with shipping was barely over 200 bucks.($204.00 to be exact)
Here is what they sent.
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
What cam profiles are these? They do not seem to match S specs, or any of the other low lift cam profiles that are readily available. I have used Delta before and continue to use them, but in the last few years their finished product is not consistent. Carefully inspect your cams when they arrive. A had several batches of S profile cams last year and several had bad lobes.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are a street/performance grind. I figured that my S needs a little more oomph.

Paul

·
Registered
460 Posts
Has some else tried these cams with Motronic on a 164? Except for .1 mm more lift on the intake, these cam specs are lower than the stock S cams. These cams have a intake lift of 10.2, exhaust of 6.25, and duration ( @ .050) of 227. 9 intake and 212.9 exhaust. Unless the lobe centers and/or ramps changed radically, I am not sure if these will perform better than the S cams. How much experience does Delta have running these cams in a 164.

I will took for the spec sheet from a set of alquati V6 cams we had Delta do for us. Their specs are much different from the S cams. I had a set ground on 164 blanks to try in my S, when I get around to it. We have run a set in a 2.5 GTV6 - the car at mid RPM and up is a rocket.

Any chance of before and after or at least after dyno results?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Hi Andrew. Do you have anymore Alquati grinds laying around? Can I really get regrinds for $200? Does Delta heat treat the regrinds?

Thanks,
-Grant (who does not know much about regrinding cams)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had no lobes left on the exhaust side. Any thing will be an upgrade. This is their "A-16" street performance grind. We'll see how they do in the car. If you would like to pay for a couple of dyno runs I'd be glad to send the results.:D I figure that I'll have more in the stupid heads than what I paid for the car.

Paul

·
Registered
460 Posts
At went to the shop this afternoon and looked for the spec sheet on the Alquati's we had ground. It was MIA, but I will have my office manager look, because she is always picking up after me in the office.

If you had bad lobes anything would make a difference. Next time you are in Texas, we can put the car on a local dyno at my cost.

Grant,
Having specs is one thing, but Delta can knock off a cam if you can provide them with an original set. Most cam speces are simple lift, and duration. If you have a print out like Delta provided, you get a better idea of what lobe of the cam is like.

The Alquati cams we had knocked off were a hot street cam. I hope to have after dyno runs by month end from installing them in a 2.5. I have run his race and Groupe A cams before in special projects. The major point of differentiation in the Alquati cams are his lobe profiles and ramps

. The Groupe A cams were radical low lift ( 9.6 mm), extremely high duration ( 320 ). They were dead low end and from 3500 to 8500 the car pulled like a mack truck. In a 2.5 once moving, a GTV6 would smoke a SHO, Mustang GT, and Camaro.

Delta does a pretty good job, but they seem to have large variation issues when making large runs. I had them do 12 sets of S cam grinds a while back and some of them had major imperfections in the lobes. They use a harden metal and are able to weld up the cams not suffer the problems of welded cams from the good olde days. I know several Alfa tuners that use Delta, so they can not be all bad. Contact Scott @ Delta and he can answer your questions.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Thank you Andrew. And will also be just as qualified at recomending me the right cam profile for my uses (very fast street and track)? I'm hoping to pass smog with motronic conversion or Megasquirt (not the visual obviously...).

·
Registered
460 Posts
The biggest problem will getting the best blend of performance that will pass emissions. Aftermarket engine management systems are usually the best change of having your cake and eating it too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Andrew. Do you have anymore Alquati grinds laying around? Can I really get regrinds for $200? Does Delta heat treat the regrinds?

Thanks,
-Grant (who does not know much about regrinding cams)
If your cam core is good (no failed lobes) then a regrind shouldn't cost a lot. As long as the amount of material that is ground away isn't much, the cam shouldn't need to be re-hardened. If there is a failed lobe, then a regrinder may be about to weld that lobe before grinding it. We have been remanufacturing camshafts since 1970. We also manufacture new cam lobes, cam muffs, cam sections, and camshafts assemblies.

Our specialty is industrial engines, especially for natural gas compression.

Kams, Inc. - cam regrinding and manufacturing for industrial engines

1 - 10 of 10 Posts