Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I may be putting the cart before the horse, but.....

I am looking at an Alfa tomorrow that I previously looked at but didn't drive (it was raining). Based on the initial look, and assuming the car drives well and meets my needs, I may end up buying it.

So, the problem is that the owner lost the registration. It's pre-'73 so registration is used in NY to transfer ownership. Owner has had the car for 30 years but car hasn't been registered since '85.

I spoke with DMV and they made it seem that as long as the owner provides a certification of ownership, it will be easy for me to register the car. But the DMV website says that they will give me a non-transferrable registration until their "title bureau" investigates the history of the car and verifies ownership. Doesn't sound promising.

Has anyone out there had similar experience dealing with NY DMV that can give me some guidance? Should I just have the owner file his own papers at DMV to get a new registration (which might take weeks/months per DMV), which means that somebody else may just buy the car or that by the time I get the car the short "fun" season in NY will be gone?

Am I being too cautious and cynical?

Thanks for your opinions and comments.

Frank

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
There are some hints in this thread, although not NY specific.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no purchase

Thanks for the link.....decided not to buy the car for this and other reasons....car was nice but just needed more "elbow grease" than I have time for now, so I passed. So I guess I don't need to figure out DMV this time. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts