Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I’m in the (painful) process of trying to title an imported 1970 Giulia 1300 in CA.

I completed the CHP inspection (successfully) and submitted all the import paperwork / titles to the DMV.

They seem to be satisfied with everything except one request - they asked for a letter from Alfa stating that the vehicle complied with all US Federal Motor Safety Standards (FMVSS) and US Emissions.

Obviously this car was never imported by Alfa.

I’ve navigated some grey market car titling here before and have found they aren’t all that diligent on confirming docs and just need to “check the box”

I doubt Alfa corporate would submit a letter like that.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. If I’m sht out of luck I can reg. Out of state.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe.

Brad

pic of car for fun

·
Push hard and live
9,613 Posts
Although there were very few emission and safety standards in 1970, as compared to later years, I’m pretty sure Alfa did not import cars to the US in that year (or was is 68?). They certainly did not officially import the 1300’s. So, I doubt there is any documentation within Alfa stating that the 1300ti met any US standards at all.

I’d say you’re on your own on that requirement.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you’re probably right - although I have seed some Giulia’s on the road out here (which I think were CA tagged) so I bet there’s a work-around ... hmmm

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spidernuge -

There's a thread right now on BAT:

1957 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce Lightweight

where someone trying to register an Alfa went to Fusi's book:

Alfa Romeo Tutte Le Vetture Dal 1910 (all cars from 1910),

looked up the serial no, and satisfied the DMV that the car was from a different year.

Seems worth a shot, anyway.

David OD
Laguna CA
Holy cow super helpful. Ordered the book (cool to have anyway).

Thanks for the lead!

B

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Wonderful looking car, and I wish you the best of luck. (Car looks familiar -- did you happen to be at the Italian Car thing at Deux ex Machina just before lockdown?) I think Fusi will help confirm the year of manufacture of the car based on S/N, but won't help with compliance, unless you can establish the car was manufactured in 1967 or earlier. Anything 1968 or later faced US and CA safety and emissions requirements, with which Alfa struggled mightily at the time. Hence SPICA fuel injection and various iterations of dual-circuit brakes in the US, and no 1968 or 1970 US-market cars as far as I know. My own solution was to buy a 1971 European-market car that had been previously registered in another state -- in that situation, transferring anything older than 1975 is easy-peasy in CA. Maybe you could do the Montana LLC thing, and then transfer into CA at a later date? I don't know if that's possible or not. In any case, if you do come up with a solution, there would be many folks here that would be grateful if you shared it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that was me! OK thanks for the advice.

I’m going to registered it to my house in Maine. Hopefully that will work.

I’m going to give the DMV here one more go beforehand. Will let you know how it goes ...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Registering in Maine sounds like good option, and then at some point (I don't know how long) you could transfer it to CA. The one downside I can think of is that if you get stopped by the cops here with a CA drivers license, they can exert pressure to register in CA. (Don't ask me how I know.) And please seek any and all other advice you can; I'm by no means an expert.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Registering in Maine sounds like good option, and then at some point (I don't know how long) you could transfer it to CA. The one downside I can think of is that if you get stopped by the cops here with a CA drivers license, they can exert pressure to register in CA. (Don't ask me how I know.) And please seek any and all other advice you can; I'm by no means an expert.
Thanks for the note. Yeah the car is rarely driven and when it is it’s to a car event to unfold the built-in picnic table and set up an Italian-style spread.... so not too worried.

I’m going to see if I can confuse/distract the DMV with some import docs first and see if I get lucky :)

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Thanks for the note. Yeah the car is rarely driven and when it is it’s to a car event to unfold the built-in picnic table and set up an Italian-style spread.... so not too worried.

I’m going to see if I can confuse/distract the DMV with some import docs first and see if I get lucky :)
Ah.....the old Smoke and Mirrors. Good Luck, hope it works out. There are several Giulia Ti in California. Not sure how they did it but must be possible.

·
Registered
634 Posts
You need a "DMV intermediary" to run the gauntlet for you.

I know someone who registered an imported Fulvia last year and he recommends Sacramento registration service, 916-480-2700. Ask for Jeffrey Puentes or Victor. He also said that you will need patience, as the process takes about half a year.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
You need a "DMV intermediary" to run the gauntlet for you.
I know someone who registered an imported Fulvia last year and he recommends Sacramento registration service,
I think talking with a private registration consultant is a good idea.

Having a copy of Fusi won't help in this situation. Fusi might help if you needed to demonstrate that a certain serial # corresponded to a certain model year. But if you have an emissions-era car (such as a 1970) and DMV demands that it have federalization stickers or a letter from the manufacturer stating that this specific serial numbered car was federalized, then I'd say you're stuck. Sacramento Registration Service might have a different route for obtaining California registration, but I predict that registering it in Maine will be the simplest strategy.

There is a current thread on this subject on a BMW discussion board that I read. The guy who started the thread bought a 70's era BMW from out of state with missing/damaged federalization stickers. Even though this is a US delivery car, he can't prove to the DMV that it met whatever emissions and safety standards were in effect in the early 1970's and apparently BMW has better things to do than stick its neck out to document this sort of thing. I can't imagine Fiat-Chrysler being any more cooperative.

deepblue said:
There are several Giulia Ti in California. Not sure how they did it but must be possible.
It may be as simple as that they have pre-1968 Ti's. Or they have newer Ti's that were never federalized, but they registered them several years ago. Apparently the need to demonstrate federalization on out-of-state cars is a newer requirement.

lpalmer said:
Registering in Maine sounds like good option, and then at some point (I don't know how long) you could transfer it to CA.
Hate to sound pessimistic, but I cant see how that would work. Whether the car comes from out of the country or out of state, you still need to demonstrate to the DMV that it has been federalized if it's newer than 19XX.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I've got a 1971 Italian market car. It was imported from the Netherlands into Massachusetts about 10 years ago, and the PO transferred it to CA more recently. I don't think he experienced any problems, and there's no BAR, etc. on the car. I had no problem registering in my name in CA after I bought it. My understanding is that if it's 1975 or earlier it can be transferred into CA from another state, but not imported from abroad. And I'm aware of various other post-1967 Supers in CA. But again, I'm not an expert, this is just my own experience, and it's also possible that the CA rules have changed recently. The consultant sounds like a good route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts