Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a set of original Campagnolo 5 spoke mags on an '83 spider. Can anyone tell me if these are magnesium or an aluminium alloy?

Any hints on refurbishing? I'm thinking bead blasting and hand polishing rather than re-painting. Not sure if they were originally painted but a previous owner has had a go at painting and it is now peeling off.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Hi,

I'm relatively new to these wheels myself, but I'm pretty sure they are aluminum and were painted from the factory.

Peter

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a set on my 86. and a warning. The wheels are an alloy of magnesium. There are refinishers...I had all of mine done..they replaced the 2 or 3 broken spokes. and then powder coated them. . Remember, magnesiun burns. They are very light, as you will see the rims weigh no more than 5 or so pounds. When you wash them, don't use just anything for wheels..red the label carefully, as some are specific for m esium, and others will damge the wheels (rims). They are worth the care, as the unsprung weight is very greatly reduced, and you will feel the difference in the ride. They are great, but you have to exercise care !!!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
oops, I stand corrected!

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
They are originally painted, so I had mine powder coated - they turned out reasonably well, but powder coating has some probs with tight corners, as any ( honest ) coater will tell you. If I do this again, I would go with coating again only if the person doing it would take the time ( read cost more ) to make sure of the outcome. Otherwise, a painting & clear-coat would last ~ 5 to 10 years-ish, but would eventually start peeling....

To sum up: Find a good coater you can trust to work towards the outcome you desire, if not, then painting is the way to make them beautiful ( for a shorter time ) than powder coat.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a set on my 86. and a warning. The wheels are an alloy of magnesium. There are refinishers...I had all of mine done..they replaced the 2 or 3 broken spokes. and then powder coated them. . Remember, magnesiun burns. They are very light, as you will see the rims weigh no more than 5 or so pounds. When you wash them, don't use just anything for wheels..red the label carefully, as some are specific for m esium, and others will damge the wheels (rims). They are worth the care, as the unsprung weight is very greatly reduced, and you will feel the difference in the ride. They are great, but you have to exercise care !!!
The multi-spoke Turbina's are Mg. The later 5-spoke wheels are Al.

Griot's Garage has a very nice, and reasonably-priced wheel refinishing kit. If you've already got peeling paint, I'd recommend walnut shell or baking soda blasting, rather than traditional "bead" (glass) blasting, which might damage the soft alloy. Eastwood sells wheel refinishing kit's too, but remember, proper prep is the most important aspect of getting a great result.

EDIT: Oops, just saw the OP is in Oz, so the kits from Griot's or Eastwood would be tough to get shipped because the aerosol cans can't be shipped by air. Hopefully something similar can be sourced locally, or get a body shop to respray them in BMW's Polaris Silver, which is the closest match to the OEM 5-spoke paint. Lots of work to polish them, but I'm sure John M can share his advice. Search for his threads on wheel polishing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Your wheels can be chromed

These guys are wholsale only, so you would have to go through Centerline, John Norman Racing, Paul Spruell or your local wheel shop. They can also do your valve cover. The guy that owns this company ran Western Wheel back in the 70s 80s, which became the largest custom wheel company till they sold out to GM back in the mid 80s.

Wheel Creations Plus

·
Registered
372 Posts
They are originally painted, so I had mine powder coated - Find a good coater you can trust to work towards the outcome you desire.
What wheels did you have done? Were they the Mg/Al alloy Campy Datona's? I contacted my local powder coater and they were concerned about the wheels being able to take the 400 degree temps. I have Campagnolo Daytonas manufactured in 83. Is this a valid concern?

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Where simple AZ91 (magnesium) without special coating is used:

Melting point: 650 C
Boiling point: 1107 C
Vapour density:
Vapour pressure: 1 mm at 621 C
Specific gravity: 1.73
Flash point: 634 C (closed cup)
Explosion limits:
Autoignition temperature: 510 C

I have only seen one wheel ignite and that was on a Marine F8U Crusader landing on the Enterprises deck at night. He hit hard, missed the wire and the tire popped. He pulled up, ejected and the plane was allowed to go over and in. Quite exciting and interesting watching the plane sink, being lit up by the torch of the Magnesium landing gear. Pilot was shaken but ok.

I don't think you can light up a Campagnolo by heating it to 400F in an oven.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Where simple AZ91 (magnesium) without special coating is used:

Melting point: 650 C
Boiling point: 1107 C
Vapour density:
Vapour pressure: 1 mm at 621 C
Specific gravity: 1.73
Flash point: 634 C (closed cup)
Explosion limits:
Autoignition temperature: 510 C

I have only seen one wheel ignite and that was on a Marine F8U Crusader landing on the Enterprises deck at night. He hit hard, missed the wire and the tire popped. He pulled up, ejected and the plane was allowed to go over and in. Quite exciting and interesting watching the plane sink, being lit up by the torch of the Magnesium landing gear. Pilot was shaken but ok.

I don't think you can light up a Campagnolo by heating it to 400F in an oven.
Thanks for the input, AZ91D was the alloy used for those wheels that I had come up with as well (not sure what the D designation denotes). In any case, 634C is a far cry from 400F.

I did get a good quote from the vendor listed above for chrome plating. I may go that route, still pondering. Chrome would be cool.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Chroming wise, I used Wheelconcepts.com to do both my FPS daytonas and my phonedials. They were around $100 per wheel plus shipping each way. Did a very nice job on both, and all wheels look perfect to this day. Mileage may vary on the Campys as Mg wheels known for corrosion and pitting compared to the later Al alloy FPS versions.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
372 Posts
Chroming wise, I used Wheelconcepts.com to do both my FPS daytonas and my phonedials. They were around $100 per wheel plus shipping each way. Did a very nice job on both, and all wheels look perfect to this day. Mileage may vary on the Campys as Mg wheels known for corrosion and pitting compared to the later Al alloy FPS versions.

Best Regards,
John M
Thanks,
Same company, but for the Mg Campagnolo wheels, the quote was around 180 per wheel plus shipping.

Glad to hear they did a nice job for you.

·
Registered
585 Posts
wheels.....

Phil: That is a very excessive cost.. I have a friend in the Auto-body business, and he had my Campagnolo wheels done for $45. each including pick-up and delivery. Look around for a better price. If you can't find a place near you,I'll try to get the name of the refinisher. They even repaired some broken spokes. Wheels were done a few years ago, so costs might be more, but they look great after three or four winters. Let me know if you need the name of the refinisher. Campagnolo's weigh no more than 6-7 pounds each, so the unsprung weight is a great savings, and that is why they make the car handle better than stock steel wheels...Just my 2 cents............

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Phil: That is a very excessive cost.. I have a friend in the Auto-body business, and he had my Campagnolo wheels done for $45. each including pick-up and delivery. Look around for a better price. If you can't find a place near you,I'll try to get the name of the refinisher. They even repaired some broken spokes. Wheels were done a few years ago, so costs might be more, but they look great after three or four winters. Let me know if you need the name of the refinisher. Campagnolo's weigh no more than 6-7 pounds each, so the unsprung weight is a great savings, and that is why they make the car handle better than stock steel wheels...Just my 2 cents............
$180 is crazy. $45 would be a deal for sure. Who was that Don? Do they do other chrome work...like bumpers and such?

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
585 Posts
wheels

To the best of my knowledge, they ONLY do wheels.. I'll get to my friend sometime next week, and get the name of the wheel refinisher...

·
Registered
372 Posts
That would be great if you had another shop to get a quote from. I have sent emails to a couple FL shops, no reply. Need to follow up, but would rather use someone that a BB'er will vouch for rather than random internet search results. Agree that these light weight wheels are worth investment to keep... mine are peeling and starting to corode, got to do something.

THanks,

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had a set of BWA Sportstars restored by Transwheel of Florida (near the Port of Tampa) several years ago, and I could not believe how amazing the result was. Any scrapes/bruises were welded, and then the entire front surface of the wheel was re-machined. The rims were then mirror-polished, the edges of the spokes and lug nut recesses were powder-coated the proper gray, and then the entire wheel was clear powder-coated. Price for all 4 was just over $500 (including tire mounting and balancing), but as I mentioned, these wheels just look amazing. They do also provide plating services, but not being a fan of chrome, I never asked about it.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts