Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding the short (front) prop-shaft on my 1963 1600 Sprint. It was pretty worn and the centre support bearing, front bush, and doughnut will all have to be replaced.

Most of it came apart pretty easily except for the front bush. Its badly worn with deep grooves inside so its got to come out.

GB043/1 PROPSHAFT 'TOP HAT' BUSH - Classic Alfa

The outer rim is already damaged, maybe a previous owner tried to change it! A search of the forum threw up a comment that they are a PITA to remove! Does anyone have any guidance on how to get it out? Heat it, freeze it, nuke it?

My second question is about fitting a new aluminium ring on the centre bearing.

750-025/1 PROPSHAFT CENTRE BEARING MOUNT - 750, 101, 102 & 106 SERIES - Classic Alfa

How hard should the three retaining points be punched? It seems quite fragile and I don't want to distort it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Martin, Sorry I can't help with your questions but I do have a 1963 Sprint in pieces just outside Ipswich if you ever need local support!
regards
Paul

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Martin
Do to the tremendous number of responses you have received in regard to you queries .. I shall offer my opinion.

Regarding removal of the bushing - a blind-hole bearing puller is the tool designed for removing such bushings.
In your instance, since the bushing is totally expendable, you might use a tap of a suitable diameter to partially cut a thread into the bushing. Then screw a bolt into that thread and work the bushing out. Careful application of heat to the prop-shaft surrounding the bushing will likely aid in its removal.

A strong blow from a 2 pound ball peen hammer against a punch should be sufficient to lock the bearing within the alloy mount. This isn't rocket science.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your input. Unfortunately the bush sits right down in the hole in the end of the shaft and there is no way to get the "feet" of a puller under it. I think that destructive surgery will be the only way.

PS worse than I thought, it isn't just a bush, its an insert without a hole at the inner end. So it could be seized/rusted at the base as well as the sides :-(

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Tuck it under your arm and take it to a machine shop. For a few quid they will take it out and you will learn how they did it. It might surprise you how simple they make it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Job done! The machine shop had some difficulties, but it yielded to their efforts. It appears that the bush is made of very hard material, don't immediately see why but who am I to challenge the Alfa engineers. Thanks to all who proffered advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts