Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I have had some fuel issues with my Giulia TI, I think, and I decided it's time to eliminate any issues. I sent my Webers off to Gordon Raymond, here on the board, and he did a great job bringing them back to life....I still need to install them, at the very least the look gorgeous.
I replaced the gas tank, because it had been sealed previously, and showed a ton of gunk. I pulled the fuel pump (this car has a later 1750 with an electrical pump)
and wanted to at least replace the rubber lines. I'm thinking about replacing all of the hard lines and the fuel pump too. (although the hard lines look like copper, so I don't expect any rust)
Do you have any recommendations as to which pump to buy. Also, the current pump has an inline filter, but I have a filter king fuel filter and pressure regulator in the engine compartment, so I'm thinking about not putting in another filter again, thoughts?
Lastly, if I replace the fuel lines, I don't have the tools to bend or flare....what do you recommend putting in?
IMG_7943.JPG
IMG_7944.JPG

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,967 Posts
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Those little cube filters are junk. Buy one of the cylindrical Facet Gold ones like the FL063 at Classic Alfa or the FP455 at Centerline. You should also get the set of soft mounts so it doesn't make a racket.

The filter on the pump is just a coarse filter to protect the pump. You should retain the Filter King to regulate the pressure and filter the fuel before the carbs. The Facet Gold has a built in 70um filter screen on the inlet, but you still want a finer filter before the carbs.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Those little cube filters are junk. Buy one of the cylindrical Facet Gold ones like the FL063 at Classic Alfa or the FP455 at Centerline. You should also get the set of soft mounts so it doesn't make a racket.

The filter on the pump is just a coarse filter to protect the pump. You should retain the Filter King to regulate the pressure and filter the fuel before the carbs. The Facet Gold has a built in 70um filter screen on the inlet, but you still want a finer filter before the carbs.
Thanks! I ordered a Facet, just to avoid any issues down the line. I looked at the fuel lines. So this is copper....no flaring, and the dents in the line seem to indicate a DIY job.....I'm not sure if this is original, and if this isn't a safety hazard. Looking for alternatives
IMG_0842.JPG
IMG_9604.JPG

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Copper is Ok if supported correctly, but if it flexes, it will work harden. There is a copper coated steel, used because it does not rust, usually used for brake lines in a smaller diameter. Don't know if it's offered as a fuel line. Original on my 55 year old Giulia Spider is steel, not copper plated, and has held up just fine, BUT this car has never been out in the elements.

·
Push hard and live
9,105 Posts
My 102s have all had copper fuel lines, still serving after nearly 60 years. The 105/115s used a galvanized steel, if I recall.

Whenever I've removed and reinstalled the long copper line in the 102, I can immediately tell is quite a bit harder than fresh copper tubing. Still, I've never had a problem in that area.

You can buy a "beading tool" from Summit Racing. In fact, if that's an 8mm or 5/16" copper line, I've got one I'd sell. I bought a second one a few years ago, because I forgot I already had one. Beading the ends of clamped fuel lines always makes me sleep a little better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts