Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if there's a trick to refitting the vented cover that fits underneath the front windshield, over the windshield wiper mechanism. I took mine off as part of strip down repaint and now am having a terrible time refitting it. It seems not to want to seat squarely in its opening and hangs up on the wiper pivots. For example, the front edge on the driver's side sits a full 1/8th inch above the edge of the fender next to it. And, there are gaps between the cover and the window seal at both ends of the cover. I've tried loosening the wiper mechanism to shift the pivots points slightly, but get no benefit. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Tim

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Hi There.

You need to lift the windowgasket a bit and slide the 2 outer lips under the gasket.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you JCDK. Could you explain a bit further? I'm not sure what you mean. By "two outter lips" are you referring to the two small flanges or flaps along the lower edge of the windshield opening? Is the window gasket actually supposed to cover those two flaps? Thanks for the help. Tim

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Hi Tim,

The cowlcover has 2 approx 1 x 1" lips at the window side, 1 at each end.

They "live" under the window rubber seal, and so does a tiny bit of the actual cover.

So what you have to do is lift the rubber seal a bit and slide the lips under it. A firm dose of acid free vaseline sure helps.

the only pic I found with the cover in place (obviously without the window) does show one of the (newly made, coz they tend to rot) lips and it's position under the gasket.

Hope this helps,

Best,
JC

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, again, JC. Your picture is very interesting and helpful. My cover does not have those two flaps. The cover was rust free, so I don't think they rusted off. I'm at work now, but I will go back and look closely at the cover at that point as well as the area along the widow. Thanks very much for the response and the picture.

Tim

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I'm pretty sure a PO removed whatever was left of them before a respray..

I tend to believe that every GT incl the stepnoses had the same cover...

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Because the tabs can make installation fairly difficult, it's not uncommon to see them bent under or cut off all together.

If you're having trouble installing it, it's better to take a few minutes, or hours, and have a try later. It's better than having to touch up the paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts