Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
It is probably not worth the trouble to remove head studs to black oxidize coat them. If they are rusty, you can coat them with oil. I did black oxidize the head nuts when rebuilding my Duetto engine. I followed the suggestions in this video:

Mark

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It looks like folks never remove the head studs in a rebuild. What do folks do to refinish these on the block?
I wouldn't say "never", but it's rare to do because of the difficulty involved and because head studs are rarely a failure point. Some full blown race engines will do it, along with rebuilds of relatively rare/valuable motors (like a GTA motor) where there isn't a ready supply of cores. It CAN be done, but you may end up having to pay for some expensive machine work to remove them. You MIGHT get lucky and have them all come out with just some heat.

If you are rebuilding a vanilla 2 liter and your head studs are bad, you are probably better off just finding a new block with good studs. If you want it to look pretty and perfect, you probably don't want to go through the trouble. You can do the oil blackening method with an oven. I suppose if you had one of sufficient size (or a big BBQ) you could coat with studs with oil and stick the whole shebang in. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts