Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post common forms of Street Weight loss and actual weight lost.

Looking for cost effective Power-to-Weight Ratio improvements. Aiming for 200lbs reduction. Already enjoying the "mostly stock" driving experience. With spare tire and full tank of gas. Without A/C.

Common among the forum are bumpers, radiators, and fan changes. Any data?

Stock '77 Starting weight : 2440 lbs

(look past the freshly painted green trailer and you can see the little white car back on the scale.)

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Convert from rubber bumpers to stainless as used on US models until 1974. This will get almost half way to your goal as the stock black bumpers and the attached shocks are quite heavy. I remember seeing a post that quoted something like 117 lbs.. I just removed mine, and I don't think its quite that much. I'll get out the bathroom scale and check!

Depending on your use, you could also remove the top. It is such a lovely piece of engineering, but it must weigh a good bit. I had a 69 MGB with a "pack away" top that was completely removable. Since I only every drove it on sunny days carting it around in the boot was a waste.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How about a dry cell battery? The Odyssey PC680 weighs "less than 15 lb". What's your current battery, 40 lb?

-Jason
WA, USA

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
john..love that answer:):):) i have made 1 set of hood and boot for my spider.. very light.. still have the mold for the bonnet and boot..odd. my 84 spider weighs 2437.. weighed it just before the gearbox, went..

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you have steel wheels, switching to "Daytona"-style alloys or Turbinas will save you about 4 lbs. per wheel.

Also, I don't know about you, but I could reduce my curb weight at least 50 lbs. by going on a diet and exercise program.

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
Removing the heavy rubber bumpers from a series 2 gets rid of weight at the extreme ends of the car. The improvement in handling is very noticeable.
Also, don't install a chasis stiffener. Adds weight (and costs $'s) for no objective improvement in handling.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
40lbs for chassis stiffener
There should be (is) an effect on handling onnaconna as it dangles under the car its altering the CoG.

If nothing else, at least it stops the car from sounding like a bag of bolts every time bumps are encountered. They do cost though.

As far as (sorta) free weight reduction, how about all that deadening stuff on the whole bottom of the car?
That's got to be a pound or 50, and won't cost more than dry ice to remove it and something to refinish it like paint or POR 15 so things don't rust all to crap.

·
Administrator
16,414 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
The weight of my S-4 is 2,540 lbs (without spare tire).

This is after the weight savings I got getting ride of the cast iron calipers and the stock phone dial wheels. But I still have a/c, power steering, power brakes, power windows, a plush interior.................and a 40 lb. frame stiffener

The best area to trim weight is the unsprung weight! Get some light weight wheels and pick a light weight tire.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts