Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Modern cats are waaaay more free flowing than the OEM 87 cats. Almost any newer cat will be an improvement. I am waiting to install the Magnaflow 94004 on my 87 Quad I purchases online for $57 delivered to my door. The Magnaflow of course.

·
Registered
what part?
9,895 Posts
the ' spun ' metal cats from manaflow are lighter than the ceramic ones and can take a hit from a speed bump, log,etc. that would shatter a ceramic one,, price same or close to it.. try summit racing for cats.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Common "Air" is not the lightest gas, but.....

Common "Air" is not the lightest gas mix, but as I recall the lighter gases also tend to have smaller molecules and leak rapidly. :rolleyes:

Replace the unibody with a TZ type space frame or a monocoque and carbon fiber (CF) body panels.
Get it down under 1600 Lb.

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
I think that there is a world wide shortage of helium. We use a lot of it where I work - it is used to pressurize nuclear fuel rods, and there is talk of trying to recycle it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Clowns may have to give up using elemental gasses

Clowns may have to give up using elemental gasses just to do funny voices.

Oh, the HORROR! :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I think that there is a world wide shortage of helium. We use a lot of it where I work - it is used to pressurize nuclear fuel rods, and there is talk of trying to recycle it.
Much of the helium in the whole world comes from helium rich vent gas in the oil and gas fields around Amarillo TX ("Helium Capital of the World"). Our dear leader has blocked all drilling in that area for four years, and the National Helium repository is badly drained. The shortages are so bad that NSF researchers are loosing grants because they cannot get the needed helium.

Most party balloon houses are seeing prices rise from $50 per tank to over $300, or finding nothing available at all. Welders can't get the best shield gas at all.

We have a 100 year supply, but it's not allowed.....

Yet another FUBAR by the incompetents who think they are in charge.

Robert

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
I did not know that but it does not surprise me.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Please excuse the rant, but I'm one of the victims of this foolishness. L He is an important part of the research I do.

Robert

BTW - this "exclusive" US source is one of the reasons the Hindenburg used Hydrogen. The US has been the sole supplier for a LONG time!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
so to be sure

Do i need t o take the 94004 magna flow to an exhaust shop and ask them to replace my cat with this new one and add an o2 port?

They will know what to do? In other words, please fill in any blanks i am missing. Do i need to buy anything else, or just take it in?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Much of the helium in the whole world comes from helium rich vent gas in the oil and gas fields around Amarillo TX ("Helium Capital of the World"). Our dear leader has blocked all drilling in that area for four years, and the National Helium repository is badly drained. The shortages are so bad that NSF researchers are loosing grants because they cannot get the needed helium.

Most party balloon houses are seeing prices rise from $50 per tank to over $300, or finding nothing available at all. Welders can't get the best shield gas at all.

We have a 100 year supply, but it's not allowed.....

Yet another FUBAR by the incompetents who think they are in charge.

Robert
Except that isn't what is actually happening. The US made a decision it didn't need a national stockpile, a decision made years ago, which was STORED in various places underground. It is now being sold off, and there a deliberate plan not to "dump" it all on the market at one time to avoid putting private firms out of business. The private sector cut domestic production way back in anticipation of the stockpile being drawn down.

Can we please get back to talking about cars now and level politics out of a thread about car weight?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Except that isn't what is actually happening. The US made a decision it didn't need a national stockpile, a decision made years ago, which was STORED in various places underground. It is now being sold off, and there a deliberate plan not to "dump" it all on the market at one time to avoid putting private firms out of business. The private sector cut domestic production way back in anticipation of the stockpile being drawn down.

Can we please get back to talking about cars now and level politics out of a thread about car weight?
Partly right and thus totally wrong. The Bureau of Land Management operates all the helium pipelines and storage, and all the primary helium refinement - to about 80% purity. The private sector only operates high grade enrichment to 99+%. Both BLM and private operators have had a variety of problems since 2006. Today, the raw source of helium, 70 to 80% of which comes from natural gas wells in the Texas panhandle, is shrinking as the old wells are depleted and new ones are not being permitted or drilled. The only new sources of natural gas in the last four years have been on private and state lands, mostly in the north, where helium is too low concentration to use.

Robert

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
This car has a frame stiffener of some sort ??
I see shed loads of RHS welded in the floor... What the story??

Interested of Brisbane, also with loads of RHS and a Duetto sans floors at present.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Partly right and thus totally wrong.

Robert
Be nice Robert, especially since by your own definition you are "totally wrong".

What happens to the U.S. helium reserve will have global implications. It supplies about one-third of the world's consumption of helium...
The U.S. helium reserve is the sole storage space of any significant size in the world, acting as a cushion when there are market disruptions. Helium, which is only economically obtained from natural-gas wells, must be quickly processed and sold off once it is extracted, if not stored as the government is doing, due to its lighter-than-air nature.

In 1960, the U.S. government started stockpiling the gas by buying it from a helium-rich natural-gas field near Amarillo. Back then, in the midst of the Cold War, helium was deemed of national-security importance for its uses in defense and aerospace.

But the Bureau of Land Management eventually accrued a debt of $1.3 billion in acquiring the helium and equipment to process it, and in 1996, the government decided to get out of the business. Congress fixed the yearly amount and price at which helium would be offered so that the debt would be paid and the helium gone by 2015...

...selling the reserve's helium at market rates would be difficult. The gas needs to be refined to be useful, and only four companies with the necessary equipment to do this are hooked up to the Bush Dome, making it difficult for competitors who aren't connected to the reserve to bid on the gas.

One of the four companies is Air Products & Chemicals Inc., the biggest helium supplier in the world. John Van Sloun, general manager for worldwide helium and rare gases, said the current price-setting system works well for his clients. "If they introduced a significant change in the pricing policy, it will introduce upheaval in the marketplace," he said.

Worries Balloon Over Helium Reserve

Now can we please leave poliitics at the door?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Hey, I'm almost always partly right and totally wrong. The only other time is when I'm just totally wrong altogether!

:D

Robert

·
Registered
what part?
9,895 Posts
so the current p.o.t.u.s. did not kill the the. problem....started back in 1996??

·
Registered
97 Posts
This car has a frame stiffener of some sort ??
I see shed loads of RHS welded in the floor... What the story??

Interested of Brisbane, also with loads of RHS and a Duetto sans floors at present.
Are you asking about the underside of my Spider in the photo on the previous page? If so, the "shed loads of RHS" actually weighs quite a bit less than the standard chassis brace you can get from IAP. I used to have one of those on the car. Both the brace and the materials in the photo were actually weighed.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Sounds like you are knowling building a blow out the cobbwebs kind of car, but worth mentioning that in my experience substantial weight reductions can end up compromising the car for more casual / everyday use. Again. It is your car so do what makes you happy but just thought it was worth mentioning.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts