Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An old article in the Alfa Owners newsletter of April 1976, the Technical Editor, Joe Benson Said: "Believe it or not, the largest single performance gain is to be had by modifying the engine fan; the effect can be felt from 3000 RPM upwards." "Cut off all but two of the blades (opposite of course)"

I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually done that.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I can not remember who or when...fan removed and electric fan installed on an early Sprint GT

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts
Shankle stated that the stock fan consumes 7 HP at 6000 rpm.. A good reason to go electric.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I used to run without a fan all the time ... wouldn't consider it in current traffic.

Have an Autodelta fan in one car with all blades cut down to about 1.5". It won't cool enough even with a three row high efficiency core in standing traffic ... putting on the heater in hot weather almost does the trick. It's still in the car for looks but an electric SPAL pusher now sits in front of the radiator.

With a modern high efficiency radiator core a small electric pusher is all you need.

If you don't want to go electric, the smaller 1300, 1600 fan will use a bit less power.

I wouldn't consider taking out all blades but two in current traffic - never mind the potential hassle of having to balance the thing afterwards.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I used to run without a fan all the time ... wouldn't consider it in current traffic.

Have an Autodelta fan in one car with all blades cut down to about 1.5". It won't cool enough even with a three row high efficiency core in standing traffic ... putting on the heater in hot weather almost does the trick. It's still in the car for looks but an electric SPAL pusher now sits in front of the radiator.

With a modern high efficiency radiator core a small electric pusher is all you need.

If you don't want to go electric, the smaller 1300, 1600 fan will use a bit less power.

I wouldn't consider taking out all blades but two in current traffic - never mind the potential hassle of having to balance the thing afterwards.
IMHO the original rads are ALMOST as good as any .... boiled out and flow tested no issues whatsoever....I think I am going to totally remove the fixed blade and install a low amperage fan to our GT Sprint... what I forgot from 40 years ago... a cheap add to performance without disturbing an original car...attached photo

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Are there an even number of blades on a plastic fan? On the old, aluminum, four blade Giulietta fans cutting it down to two won’t cause a balance problem. I don’t know how you’d balance a plastic fan if it has an odd number of blades.

Mike

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Are there an even number of blades on a plastic fan? On the old, aluminum, four blade Giulietta fans cutting it down to two won’t cause a balance problem. I don’t know how you’d balance a plastic fan if it has an odd number of blades.

Mike
I would imagine by reducing each blade equally.... that said I would rather remove it and add the electric fan .... I have a 190 mercedes fan sitting in a parts bin I am going to check clearances tomorrow ..

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts
It's still in the car for looks but an electric SPAL pusher now sits in front of the radiator.
Me too. The 12" SPAL in my Spider pushes a lot more air than the cheap no name 12" that I had before.

·
Super Moderator
11,667 Posts
Alfa offered a bladeless hub for the 750 and 750/101 water pump. This was intended for racing use. I have several originals. Today, unless used for concourse, I often suggest those with the 750 and 101 1300 engines use an electric fan and use the bladeless version. I also have an Autodelta short blade fan for my GTA engine, but use the Euro type thin "flex-blade" fan for street use. The bladeless 750/101 water-pump is rebuilt, and for sale for $150.00 plus shipping.

Attachments

Reactions: Tom Frasca

·
Super Moderator
11,667 Posts
The purpose of the GTA short fan was for racing classes where a fan was required. Like "stock-rims" or other regulations. Not only there, but the long blade, stock fan would explode at high rpm just often enough to be a concern. When it did, it would cut up the aluminum body, but worse, take out the radiator. End of race.

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
IMHO the original rads are ALMOST as good as any .... boiled out and flow tested no issues whatsoever....I think I am going to totally remove the fixed blade and install a low amperage fan to our GT Sprint... what I forgot from 40 years ago... a cheap add to performance without disturbing an original car...attached photo
Why?

Its a lovely original car, why are you chasing tiny amounts of hp on a stunningly original car? ... leave the fan on and enjoy your beautiful car :)
Pete

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Why?

Why?

Its a lovely original car, why are you chasing tiny amounts of hp on a stunningly original car? ... leave the fan on and enjoy your beautiful car :)
Pete
Just be careful if you do keep it. The plastic becomes brittle with age. Mine disintegrated and damaged the radiator, overheating the engine.

·
Super Moderator
11,667 Posts
Plastic fans become brittle with age. They are actually a type of nylon, I believe. They are a replacement item. The support ring in front of the hub MUST be used, the bolts NOT tightened terribly tight. If you fear they will loosen with use, put a dab of silicone sealant on the threads before tightening.
If you examine blown up fans, they will fail with a blade breaking off from a nick in the edge, or come apart at the hub, from over tightened bolts. It's not a bad plan to replace the fan every 5 or 6 years, buying new from one of our good sources.
Years ago in racing, we used to boil them in a large pot of water for 15 minutes before initial installation. The thought was it stabilized stresses in the material. This came from radio controled model airplane builders that did the same with thier nylon propellers.
All the short blade GTA fans were boiled, and many are still around. Maybe boiling had a benefit.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Why?

Pete
Plastic fans become brittle with age. They are actually a type of nylon, I believe. They are a replacement item. The support ring in front of the hub MUST be used, the bolts NOT tightened terribly tight. If you fear they will loosen with use, put a dab of silicone sealant on the threads before tightening.
If you examine blown up fans, they will fail with a blade breaking off from a nick in the edge, or come apart at the hub, from over tightened bolts. It's not a bad plan to replace the fan every 5 or 6 years, buying new from one of our good sources.
Years ago in racing, we used to boil them in a large pot of water for 15 minutes before initial installation. The thought was it stabilized stresses in the material. This came from radio controled model airplane builders that did the same with thier nylon propellers.
All the short blade GTA fans were boiled, and many are still around. Maybe boiling had a benefit.
You need to write a book ...... seriously ....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for your comments. I decided to remove the fan and take the car for a drive. I was surprised at how much quieter the engine was, eliminating the roar of the fan. Acceleration above 3000 was very significant and a pleasant improvement.

Based upon your comments about plastic fans coming apart, I’ve decided to install an electric fan. But which one?

1. Centerline’s fan (they don’t mention the manufacturer)
2. SPAL
3. Flex-a-lite fan which has a controller/relay allowing slow starts and less amperage draw.

Your thoughts?... Thanking you all in advance.

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,667 Posts
I agree with Ed, though others that use 'letrik fans may have other opinions. With vintage 101 or 750 1300 cars, these conversions are easily reversable, and offer a nice alternative for those that regularly drive these cars.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
SPAL over Centerline for me - I have used both on Alfas. With an oil cooler and 3 row high efficiency radiator core I have found a 9" SPAL pusher to be sufficient. YMMV.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts