Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just toying with this, thinking out of the box but probably just crazy. I have seen the rear mount ac unit on the market that is used in hot rods etc and looks interesting but still requires all the same dead weight and unpleasant looking plumbing in the engine compartment so I had this crazy thought....... if you had a 5000btw 125 volt window unit mounted in the trunk to just blow cold air into the cabin why not? Sure it would required some duct fabrication but nothing that would ruin the car. So a 2000 watt continuos inverter will put out 125 volts and 16 amps (according to ohms law) and 12 volts with a 65 amp alternator will generate 780 watts. The current consumption of the aircon is 6.5 amps and 125 volts which is 812.5 watts. So I'm 32.5 watts short excluding other demands on the alternator. A 75 amp alternator will put out 900 watts which doesn't leave much. An 80 amp alternator will get me up to 960 watts. Does anyone know of an 80 amp alternator that will fit a 2L motor? Stuff all this in the trunk which is where the battery is now and duct/vent as necessary! done! an added benefit is reduced understeer and a clean engine compartment. I really like it the way it is. An if this isn't redneck I don't know what is but it might be worth it. If I can drive my car in the Texas heat in August it will be worth it.
80 amp alternator for an Alfa, anyone?

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Mikey,
I found an 80 amp/hr Bosch alternator at O'Rileys in CS back in '03 that I'm still using now in the Spider. Just had to adjust the pulleys and make a few other tweeks if I remember correctly.
Sounds like an interesting project, one worthy of your efforts, knowing what you can do.... Go for it McGiver!

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you remember the application for which it intended, what car? thanks

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
I'm not really sure any more Mike, its been awhile, but If I recall correctly I asked for an alternator for a '78 Alfa Spider and he asked me if one for a 92-94 would work. I dont know how he got that info but the next day it came in from Houston and that night I was driving again.Wish I could be more help but the details are a little sketchy...
I'll dig a little deeper into the receipt book tomorrow night and see if I can get the info from there.
Enjoy whats left of Spring my man 'cause Summer is banging on the door....

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it hooked right up to the existing wiring? thanks

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Yeah it plugged right in, same hook ups and connectors.....and it has a lifetime warranty!

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll definitly check that out. I put this out there to help uncover any flaws in my thinking or the practiability of this approach so by all means play devils advocate. First thing I need to do is just see if I can get one to run with an inverter. I may try it on my 240D first.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Thanks, I'll definitly check that out. I put this out there to help uncover any flaws in my thinking or the practiability of this approach so by all means play devils advocate. First thing I need to do is just see if I can get one to run with an inverter. I may try it on my 240D first.
what are you goingt to do with all the hot exhaust air? ACs need a lot of air flow----

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he's onto something:) Exhausting the hot air was one of the first things I knew I'd have to do and it won't be easy if I don't cut the car which is out of the question, at least on the visible parts. One solution would be to get rid of the spare tire and duct into a plate over the tire well and take out the two rubber plugs. I'd have to make a vent shroud on the bottom of the tire well holes to direct the air to the rear and keep water from splashing back into the well. Can those two holes handle the amount of air? That is a good question which I'll have to address, one of many:confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts