Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my 1995 164Q and noticed leakage of a reddish oily material from beneath the driver's footwell. It is located behind the front wheel. The reddish color suggests ATF or a similar fluid, but mine is a 5 speed and the leak is well behind the transaxle. Would appreciate any suggestions on possible sources.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Tom,
Could be an ATF drip from the transmission, but more likely from the power steering boot on that side. Have you checked the power steering fluid level?

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
Tom,
Could be an ATF drip from the transmission, but more likely from the power steering boot on that side. Have you checked the power steering fluid level?
ATF is used in the transmisson just an FYI!

Could be a number of things. transmission seal leak? Steering rack leak (also uses ATF not steering fluid).

Check steering boots for leakage, check large bango fitting on the steering rack, can come loose and leak or washer is bad, check for leakage around intermediate shaft and left inner axel. Sometimes the O-rings can go bad and leak!
Check the Steering fluid tank located behind false fire wall on left side for low fluid, check under car for return line and see if if is leaking at all. This is the U tube located under the driver seat mount to the bottom of the sheet metal, There are two lines coming from the tank and sometime can leak or U tube is rusted and can leak.

Try that.

Jason

Recommneded ATF fluid: AGIP (of course), Castrol or Valvoline Dexron III, Mercon IV rated or better. (stay away from Mobil 1 Synthetic) Of course there are plenty more but I find these to be the best for off the shelf.
I use PENTOSIN ATF 1 or Lubro-Moly (German Import stuff)

For AGIP products either go to Amercianagip.com (same stuff as the Italian)

·
Premium Member
27,161 Posts
If it is on ground under driver's floorboard I suspect either power steering hoses to cooling pipe mounted to underside of floorboard or cooling pipe itself may have a rusted pin hole in it. One hose comes from rack return port and another comes from fluid reservoir behind false firewall.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input!

Thanks everyone for your input. From the leak location (which isn't very bad, just a small spot after standing overnight), it appears to be associated with either the return hose or the cooler line. The PO that I just purchased the car from just had the return hose replaced, so maybe the clamp isn't completely tight. I'll look into it when it stops raining!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts