Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so a fellow board member recently encouraged me to flush the stock tranny fluid and replace it with red line.

sounded good, but never got around to it. well, the gtv6 was in the shop yesterday and I had them do it (because I'm mechanically inept)....and wow! what a difference! smooth shifts, significantly less grind (had a slight second gear) and feels like I'm shifting through butta!

highly recommend!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Wait until it gets colder up there, you will love it even more!!! No more morning warm ups!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Is there a concern about fluid leaks with the thinner redline?:confused: I would like to put redline into my Verde but was concerned about leaks around seals that are accustomed to the heavier stuff.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Yea, it'll shift smoother :) like it did in my daily drivers transaxle but then months later it leaked:( - not much but still dripped on the driveway. Replaced the seal and it still leaks. :mad: I now refill with a dino GL4 rated gear lube and the leak is slowly going away. Redline MT90 which is piss thin.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I used Redline in my 140K mile transaxle in my GTV6 and it did not leak. I have since rebuilt it, replaced the seals and all is well. I have put it in two Verde transaxles with out leaks, but I replaced the seals at the same time. My Spider trans already leaked, it does not seem to be leaking any faster, and it is a very small leak. The rear diff already leaked, so I replaced the seal and put in Redline and it is fine. I use Redline 75w90NS.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Still beneficial?

Interesting.:rolleyes:

SamW ... in your opinion, would the potential of a small leaks be offset by the benefit of the Redline? I would be willing to live with that.:eek:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I am guessing your leak is at the front of the transaxle through either the input or the shifter, I think you would still like the redline, leaks fron the front seem to be slow leaks anyway, I had a leak at the seam in the middle which was my own fault, I did not seal it well, and it leaked terrible, but even though it seamed like a lot on the ground, it never really dropped that much inside. On my Spider, it has had a slow leak since I bought it and redline does not seam to change the amount that leaks, it is only a few drops a week, so a very minor leak.

If you want to make the drive across NC, I am about an hour from the TN/NC border, we can drop your trans an put in new syncros and seals one weekend, I think I have done about 5 trans jobs like that, I keep getting better at it....

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sounds worthwhile and I'll pick up some this weekend.

As for the offer, I'll give that some serious consideration:rolleyes: ... PM you soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had redline MT90 in my Verde. It was glorious!! Not a drop of leakage and shifting that was noticeably smoother. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Shifting feels nice uhhh!!!

so a fellow board member recently encouraged me to flush the stock tranny fluid and replace it with red line.

sounded good, but never got around to it. well, the gtv6 was in the shop yesterday and I had them do it (because I'm mechanically inept)....and wow! what a difference! smooth shifts, significantly less grind (had a slight second gear) and feels like I'm shifting through butta!

highly recommend!

:cool:

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
What about use with an LSD? Could it be harmful?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,059 Posts
The NS stuff doesn't have the limited slip additive but I've been told it won't harm the LSD. It might make the LSD chatter, which is annoying sounding but not harmful. 'course if your LSD is reasonably worn then it's probably a non-issue anyway.

Funny how folks get different results with the Redline stuff. When I tried it in my Milano it made the shifting feel smoother on upshifts but made it more prone to grind on downshifts. Felt thin, is the only way I can put it. Went back to Shell and downshifts went back to good.

Some folks swear by it and some folks swear at it. I wonder what the difference is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts