Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to start this thread for six months or so. Last October I flew to Oakland and drove this car home. Aside from a constant rattle from the shifter from a worn rear transaxle mount, and loose steering caused by a loose steering rack (all four bolts) and worn inner tie rod, the trip was fun and uneventful.

As you can see from the pictures I had the biggest dents removed. I replaced the rear transaxle mount, the lower shift boot, installed the missing catalytic converter shield - thanks APE, tightened the rack, removed the failed steering dampener, took it through DEQ, and registered it.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Alfaloco

Here are a few not so nice pictures you may recognize...I discovered the 3.0 engine has the old three piece gaskets--I haven't seen those since the late '80's! I took these pictures a few weeks after I bought the car and I cleaned out the oil and it hasn't returned in such volume since. Centerline just delivered the last of the parts I'll need to do the head gaskets and convert the oil-fed detensioner to a mechanical tensioner.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very Nice! I have owned my 86 GTV6 so long I can say that I had the original head gaskets replaced under manufacturers warranty in 1987 or so. After you get it sorted out spring for the Greg Gordon intake kit, most impressive simple modification I have ever made to a car.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another fix I forgot about

Memory does strange things-I forgot all about the exhaust drone on the drive home. The manifold to catalytic converter flange was cracked almost all the way around. The next picture is of the catalytic converter heat shield I got from Larry, and the last picture shows the new upper transaxle mount and the short brake caliper bleeders I found in my parts stash. The long bleeders that come on the rebuilt calipers now stick up way too high and were hitting the exhaust. Even the short one on there now doesn't have enough clearance for a cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's what happens to old tires

On my way to work Monday as I was approaching the Marquam Bridge, I heard loud tire noises from the front and the car pulled to the right. I knew I had a flat but there is no room on the bridge to change a tire so I put on the emergency flashers and drove about 15 mph across the bridge. Here's what's left. The date code on these Michelins is 2007 but they are pretty cracked from living in California. The unused P6 spare had very little air and was also flat in a couple blocks of driving. Fortunately, the last of the air left the tire as I was driving by a shop where a friend works so I borrowed some air and drove another six blocks to work. It appeared that the inner sidewall gave out which would explain the sudden loss of air. I'm glad it didn't happen on the trip from Oakland--to think I hit 100 mph passing a truck on that trip...

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody recognize this sticker?

It looks like my car was in SoCal for a while as it has a Balboa Yacht Club sticker from 2000. Does anybody know what the others are for?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Welcome to PDX. Yours is just the 4th running GTV6 I know of here. I never go more than a few months in this town without getting something stuck in my tire. ;-(

·
Registered
215 Posts
That was my GTV6. It's been an SF bay area car all its life. I was a member of BYC. The bottom sticker came with the car I don't know what it is, the top sticker is a parking permit for the San Francisco Yacht Club.

You saw my ad, so you know what I did to it on my watch with it. I put in the 3.0 which I got from Larry, and Larry's son did the transaxle.

Did anyone ever fix the speedo? I bought the metric one that I sold it with on eBay from a guy in New Zealand.

That was a nice GTV6.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doug, thanks for chiming in--it still is a very nice GTV6! I wanted to buy it when you sold it but Rich beat me to it. Then when Rich sold it David from Oakland beat me to it.

Rich replaced the speedo and had the tach recalibrated so they are both dead accurate.

The original head gaskets lasted way longer than they were designed to--when I replace them, I'll replace the original 2.5 manifolds with 3.0 manifolds and a heat shield for the starter.

I have a limited slip differential to add to the transaxle. The transaxle still shifts smoothly thanks to the rebuild and Monkey shifter. All I had to do was lubricate the monkey shifter and add the lower boot.

About ten years ago, I had Red/tan leather 57,000 mile V-6 that I sold to Aaron from Aptos. I like this one better because it has cloth seats, no sunroof, and you already installed the 3.0!

Crackie what color is your V6?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
More "new" stuff

I took my car to show it to Nasko during lunch a couple weeks back and he commented on how slow it cranked. When I got back to work, I tested the battery and found it was only at 12.4V so I charged it. I drove home and didn't think about it until two mornings later when it cranked slowly again. It was a rainy day and I noticed the wipers were slower than usual and would almost come to a complete stop. As soon as I got to work I checked the charging voltage and found I had a battery powered Alfa. I found a Bosch reman a block away at Worldpac and picked it up during lunch. It had the exact part number as the old one but I had to grind away at the mounting flange so it would fit in the bracket. Anyway, it fit eventually and I had to put a washer under the adjustment bracket for the correct offset but when I was done it was charging at a full 13.6v. (60a Alternator, 90a wasn't available)

The driver window visor came out of one of Peter's GTV6 @ 70 mph hits Moose cars.

You can see I've already replaced the stock 2.5 manifold with a 3.0 manifold on this side. I had to drop the center exhaust when I had the flange welded and one of the nuts was frozen to the stud--it snapped the stud even with liberal application of penetrant. I probably could have avoided breaking the stud if we had a torch in the shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PS yeah, I probably could have bead blasted the manifold but I like my cars to look driven.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
Nice score! Just found this thread. I still want a GTV6 badly, I had a Verde for a few years, but the GTV6 shape is one that helped me fall for Alfas.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'll swap you for a very nice Berlina...

Just received a package from Mt. Carmel Spares: GTV6 3.0 badge and hood prop. Will post pictures this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure I would call my Berlina nice, but a swap is intriguing.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Is MCS back doing business? They/he was offline for awhile a few months back.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts