Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Listers:
My 1988 Spider seems to have a repeated problem with hinges. As you can see in the photo, the plate that connects the hinge to the tubular "counterbalance" has twisted loose and bent. It should be easy enough to fix, but I did want to mention that this is a recurring problem with this car. These are new hinges, replacing those with similar damage, and I had a body shop install them and adjust the car earlier. I suspect that they would stand behind their work, but am I missing something in terms of adjustments, lubrication or something?
Thanks
Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 88 does the same thing, on the left side, too. Mine also pulls out of the bracket bolted to the body. The left rod is bent, but I wonder how and why that happened in the first place. Does nayone know a source of replacement rods and brackets? I have the same scratches, and ding in the deck lid.
Any insight will be helpful.
Mark

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I made my own replacement brackets, heavier stock. No need for that dogleg if you shim the top out from the hinge with a longer bolt, washers and locknut, just a couple of slight bends at the ends. It's been working for about 10 years now with no problems. Mine is adjusted to hold the trunk lid in position, it doesn't spring open but pops up about 2 inches and will stay in any position I put it.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the solution!

Hey Kcabpilot:
yours seems to be the solution! I think that the steel is too weak in the factory version and it breaks.
Of course, you might have opened Pandora's Box since, not being much of a metal fabricator myself, I wondered if you might provide some additional details of your project, such as WHERE you locate metal, what gauge, how did you drill the holes, bend, etc, In other words, do you have a template you can provide us hapless trunk-sprung drivers?
THANKS very much as I think this resolves it!
Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Me too I ate one sour too!

I had this problem happen to my 75 as well.
My springs were jacked up to the third notch and the lubrication had seen better days. I just backed off the springs to the first notch, bent the brackets back to somewhere near stock and applied grease.
Working again fine.
Like the other chap the boot pops open only to about two inches but who gives a s**t.
It's not a Toyota with self spring opening grease nipple tabs for your convenience,

it's an Alfa!:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts