Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Wanted to get some feedback from any spider owners that have recovered their seats.

I have a 74 spider and thinking of recovering my seats. I'm trying to figure out if I should go with leather or vinyl?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,548 Posts
Bump, me too, will be following.... The seats that were in there had the covers over the original and they looked pretty weak. Don't know the vendor but they were very old with a cheap pattern.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
If you're trying to decide on material, the first thing you need to be asking yourself is whether you're concerned with originality or not.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The 74 had vinyl with a fuzzy fabric insert. I re-covered mine with a high quality vinyl and no fabric insert. I thought the insert looked cheesy. The all vinyl looks more OEM than the OEM. Local upholsterer did them. Fit perfect.

Keep in mind that your seats will probably need some internal rebuilding of foam, etc. I'm not a big fan of prefab seat covers. I've seen some pretty lousy looking results of owners installing prefab seat covers.

The high quality vinyls today look and feel great. Leather will cost about twice as much. But it's hard to beat a nice leather seat.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
The high quality vinyls today look and feel great. Leather will cost about twice as much. But it's hard to beat a nice leather seat.

I agree............... The seats in the picture are 5 yrs old and still look new.

As a note:
You'll be seating higher with a new foam base cushine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
You might want to check with a local upholstery shop, down here in SoCal at least they can provide excellent quality in original patterns for less than the kit costs. YMMV as they say, but worth considering.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The 74 had vinyl with a fuzzy fabric insert. I re-covered mine with a high quality vinyl and no fabric insert. I thought the insert looked cheesy.

I've owned a '72 and two '74 Spiders, and they each had vinyl seats, none had "fuzzy fabric" inserts. Even through the S3 cars, except the Veloce's and Quad's, those same seats were used. The S4 did have leather-faced (vinyl side panels) with a fake suede Alcantara inserts.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I used World Upholstery kits in my '72. I went with the leather because I figured it would look better, be more comfortable and more durable. It probably is in comparison to the original vinyl but I think they have made progress and improvements in vinyl since 1972 so may not be that big of a difference now days. I haven't seen the vinyl kits so can't really say for sure.

Anyway, the leather kits were good quality and, if I remember correctly, about twice the cost of the vinyl. Installation was quite a bit of work, they don't just slip on. There's a lot of tugging and stretching followed by more tugging and stretching, wetting, heat gun application, followed by more tugging and stretching to get them fitting good. Also, with leather there are going to be certain "artifacts" that you need to accept - part of being a natural material rather than synthetic. It also will wear and get a broken in appearance after some time whereas vinyl will pretty much look the same until it begins to stiffen and splits open one day.

If I were to do it again today I might at least look at the vinyl samples but would probably still go with the leather.

Oh yea, and there's the smell too.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feed back. If I do redo my seats I will go with the original pattern. That a professional will create and install, no kits.

Just debating between leather or vinyl.

Thanks

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mister Misert...

I like the shot of those seats, wouldn't mind getting those into my S4 but something else in your picture caught my eye... It's the rubber window gasket on the hard top. What I am curious about is how the window gets into the slot if you close the door with the window up... Does your window even slide into that slot?

I have tinkered with the rubber gasket all winter and I just cannot seem to get it to a point where I can drop the window on the passenger side a couple inches then put it back up and have the slot engaged. ( from outside the car, I can ping pong back and forth using a screw driver and inching the window up an inch at a time, then lock the passenger side door.) I need you to post some pictures of the window to gasket, with the window down half way, then up to the last inch, and finally window all the way up... Forget about trying to get the driver side window to engage....

If your really good, you can let me know where I can purchase a replacement rubber gasket.. hehehheheheh

Thanks

KKKKFL

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
That's the soft top in the picture. I have never been able to get the passenger window to fit into the slot on the hardtop either.

Mister Misert...

I like the shot of those seats, wouldn't mind getting those into my S4 but something else in your picture caught my eye... It's the rubber window gasket on the hard top. What I am curious about is how the window gets into the slot if you close the door with the window up... Does your window even slide into that slot?

I have tinkered with the rubber gasket all winter and I just cannot seem to get it to a point where I can drop the window on the passenger side a couple inches then put it back up and have the slot engaged. ( from outside the car, I can ping pong back and forth using a screw driver and inching the window up an inch at a time, then lock the passenger side door.) I need you to post some pictures of the window to gasket, with the window down half way, then up to the last inch, and finally window all the way up... Forget about trying to get the driver side window to engage....

If your really good, you can let me know where I can purchase a replacement rubber gasket.. hehehheheheh

Thanks

KKKKFL

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,548 Posts
A bb member in the resto thread, "rusty GTV floorboards" re covered his seats and documented it very well. You might want to look at what he did cause it looks great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts