Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,518 Posts
It's really hard to make generalizations across tire sizes and makes/models. Baz did a good job of posting his original question by including the fact that these are Goodyear tires in 185/70-14. The specific model would be even more helpful.

When I had Goodyear Eagle GT+4 tires in this size on my GTV, I ran them at 35 psi front, 33 psi rear. I found this gave a good compromise between handling and a tolerable ride. They wore evenly at this pressure.

On my Milano, I have Bridgestone Potenza S-03s - now there is a tire that likes a lot of pressure to turn in crisply. I run them at 42 psi front, 39 psi rear, cold. They are not harsh at that pressure and are amazing in the wet. My point in mentioning the Bridgstones at all is that some tires react to pressure much differently than others, so you really can't make statements like "44 psi would be deadly in the wet".

·
Supporting Vendor
4,518 Posts
2000gtv-sng said:
I have to say I am intrigued as to why some people prefer to run higher pressures at the front than the back. Doesn't that just increase understeer and other undesirable handlng traits?
No, usually it's the other way around - lowering the pressure in the front will cause the vehicle to understeer more, as well as have sloppy turn in characteristics.

With lower tire pressure on a given end, the sidewalls can deflect to the point where it causes weight transfer and a loss of traction on that end.

Also, remember there is greater weight over the front wheels, and they are tasked with turning the vehicle - this is why most people will tell you to run a few pounds higher. Conversely people with Porsche 911s generally run a few pounds higher in the rear for the same reason, as those vehicles are much heavier in back.

*Of course, this entire discussion assumes we never inflate to the point where the tire is over inflated and losing contact patch.

Joe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.