Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Recommendations: Windshield gasket source

541 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Alfajay 
#1 ·
I’ve done a forum search, but was concerned the info might be a bit dated:

I’m looking for recommendations for where to source an front/rear windshield gasket for a 1974 GTV that is being back dated to the old style glass/gasket. I will be buying trim for the windshields as well.

I will be getting new door gaskets from Italy (Cicognani).

Thanks for any advice/feedback

#3 ·
I’m looking for recommendations for where to source an front/rear windshield gasket for a 1974 GTV that is being back dated to the old style glass/gasket. I will be buying trim for the windshields as well.
Sourcing Alfa windshield gaskets isn't as complicated as e9 gaskets. Any rubber from Cicognani should be good - either order directly from them, or get your gaskets from Classic Alfa or Alfaholics; both probably carry Cicognani-made products.

#4 · (Edited)
Jay,
As you well know, door gaskets are a PITA for both 105/115 GTV and E9 owners. I plan to fix/glue and reuse my original but torn 46 year old E9 for gaskets as they fit and work really well. Tempting to do the same with my 115 door gaskets.

Thank goodness these Alfa windshield gaskets are not a similar drama.
Yes I know I need different glass and it looks like I’ll give the China glass a try because it’s local and reasonably priced. I need it to get the car back on the road in the spring and I’m not concerned about changing it again later if I find glass I like better.

BTW: while I was driving my E9 today I realized the GTV makes me drive like a young man and the E9 encorages me to drive like a mature yet young at heart man. They make a nice pair to suit a wide range of moods and events. im hoping to use these two cars for at least 50% of my regular driving next summer.

#6 · (Edited)
Tempting to do the same with my 115 door gaskets.
Oh yea, GT door gaskets are a royal pain; quite a different situation from GT windshield gaskets. I was talking a with a friend who recently restored his '67 GT. After trying several types of new door gaskets, he just re-installed his old ones. Now he can close his doors with one finger. I installed new Cicognani seals 8 or so years ago, and my doors still take a firm slam to close, though I believe that Cicognani seals are the best available.

Glad to here so many suppliers sell good gaskets.
I suspect that it's less that many suppliers have good rubber parts and more that most parts are made by the same manufacturer (Cicognani) and that's what all the suppliers carry. In this situation we're fortunate that the demand for vintage Alfa rubber is so small that only one company bothers to make it, and fortunately, they're a company that does a good job.

BTW: while I was driving my E9 today I realized the GTV makes me drive like a younger man and the E9 Les me drive like a mature yet young at heart man. They make a nice pair to suit awide range of moods and events. im hoping to use these two cars at least 50% of the time next summer.
Yes, two different interpretations of the classic driving experience.

#9 ·
Believe it or not, the most recent ones I bought (See my thread ‘PROGRESS!!’ were fantastico.
Gee, I wish you hadn't told me that! I've replaced my seals with the "newest generation" three or four times. The last time I did it (4 or 5 years ago) I said "OK, for better or worse, that's it!". But now you tell me that there's some holy grail of GT door seals out there. Hmmm.

#8 ·
I do believe! I think after years of whining the manufacturer has replaced their extrusion dies and modified their materials. As they wear, the crossection gets bigger which is a big problem. Couple that with the fact that softer compounds tend to be harder to control during the extrusion process and we end up with virtually unusable seals...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.