Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure yet if I'll be running a 1750 or 2000 in the '66 junk yard shell yet, but wanted to get your coaching on what fuel/intake set up you would recommend running. Weber or Dellortos? Is there a specific intake manifold I should be searching for?

My plan is to build a fast road, not track, car.

·
Premium Member
21,681 Posts
Webers, parts are much more available, everyone knows how to work on them, lots more parts available for setup.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Webers, parts are much more available, everyone knows how to work on them, lots more parts available for setup.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. Twin DOCE 40's? Is there a specific intake?

What should these, ballpark, run for a good usable/rebuild-able set run?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,681 Posts
Use a stock Alfa manifold sidedraft manifold, fits the Webers with no mods. Can use a stock Alfa airbox too. Which carbs you use (45 or 40) and the setup internally depends on your engine and your needs. You can start with a stock setup, if a stock engine, or use a stock setup as a starting point and modifiy as needed. Or consult your engine builder, if you have one.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,681 Posts
Go to the Centerline site, on the tech tab, poke around and you'll find the stock Alfa setups for the various carbed cars. For a stock 1750/2000, you can go with what they used in Europe, should work fine. If you have a nonstock motor, advice from who built the motor is good, or like I say, start with the stock settings and move in increments from there. Experienced help is advised.

Fair number of manifolds come up on ebay and the BB. The Euro-style air cleaner, an open-topped aluminum box, with a steel "log" on top with filters inside, is compact, bolts on with no mods, and looks stock. Aftermarket solutions are possible too, but some are cheap and nasty, and you want to draw cold air from the grille area as much as possible; most of those draw ambient air out of the engine compartment, which will be hotter.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
Twin DOCE 40's? Is there a specific intake? What should these, ballpark, run for a good usable/rebuild-able set run?
Yea, 40 mm carbs. You don't want 45's unless you have a 2L engine that will primarily be running at high rpms.

Unfortunately, the market for these things is too thin for anyone to say "oh, a good usable/rebuild-able set ought to run $356.89". Just follow ebay for awhile, and see what things sell for. Keep in mind that sellers' claims of "good usable/rebuild-able" will differ widely, so it's tough to evaluate carbs' condition just from ebay / Craigslist pictures & descriptions. Until you get used carbs apart, you really don't know what you have.

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
Easiest to work with are 40DCOE2's or 45DCOE9's. Don't worry about paying a bit for a good matched pair. They are very restorable (my job) and can be resold. If they are Italian, so much the better, though Spanish versions work just fine.
No, I don't sell any, just repair/restore. 3 pair on e-bay today. (DON'T look at the $900 pair.) See Jay's comment above.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
Here is the factory air box. Mine has an intake horn that lines up with the air duct on the right side of the radiator that used to connect to a hose to the SPICA air box. Some versions have a hose connection instead of the horn and they allow a hose connection to the air duct.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is great info and coaching guys, thank you very much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts