Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Well, all things considered, why not try some Konis, since yours are relics, and not well matched to your stiffer springs.
If you get yellows rather than reds, they will adjust to be firm enough to control your current springs adequately (which you might then be happy with), yet still work on softer settings should you decide the setup is not for you, and you go to softer or stock springs.
Reds would probably cope...yellows definitely will.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
I've often read on the board that KYBs and Bilsteins are too stiff for a stock suspension - see here for example.

Red Konis set full soft are pretty similar to the original Spica shocks our cars were supplied with. Yellow Konis are said to be much stiffer, intended for track use/stiff suspensions.

Classic Alfa in UK sells repro shocks visually similar to the originals (£39.50 ea.) while both Centerline and Vick Autosport sell non-gas shocks from seemingly different sources at +/- $200/set.

For some obscure reason, KYB does not market the Alfa shocks in North America but has them available in Europe. No Alfa shocks are available form generic auto parts stores anymore.
I agree on Bilstein's. I prefer KONI red or yellow. Yellow are fine on stock springs.

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
As others have posted,you have springs that are 3 times stiffer than stock and shock damping should be matched to spring stiffness. I have springs that are 50% stiffer than stock and my Spider handles much better with them than with the red monsters on your car. I have SPAX shocks on the front and Koni yellows on the rear. I started out with the Konis at full soft and after a couple of adjustments they are now set at 50%. The SPAX have a wider range of adjustment and they are set a bit above 50%.
Richard Jemison drove my car On the access roads and on the skid patch at Road Atlanta this weekend and he gave high praise to both the ride quality and the handling. As a point of reference, Richard placed second in the group 3 feature race the next day.

Unfortunately there are no vendors in the US currently selling the kind of springs that I am using. I was fortunate to be able to buy a NOS set of Shankle Super Sports on ebay. My advice is to buy springs from Classic Alfa or Alfaholics and follow their advice on shocks that are matched to their springs.

I agree with the posters who say avoid Bilsteins and KGB's if you want a comfortable ride and bear in mind that Koni yellows on the softest settings are very similar to reds on the softest setting but yellows have a greater range of adjustability. Al Mitchell (Reale) has measured them and posted the results. search on him and Koni to find the graphs and comments.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have IAP red springs all the way around, Koni yellow shocks up front, stock shocks in the rear, don't remember what they are set at. Tried Koni yellow and red on the rear, would go back to the Koni reds on the rear if I didn't sell them.

They are all adjustable so you can try different settings.

I would recommend Koni reds all the way around for a street driven call.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thoughts on the original set from Centerline or Vick Auto?

What is the main difference between gas and non-gas shocks and which are recommended?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
Gas shocks spring to the fully extended position and have the effect of making the suspension stiffer. Some people like them but I don't. I once bought a Milano Verde with Bilstein gas shocks for my son to drive while my Verde had Koni yellows. The Konis made a much nicer ride.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Gas shocks spring to the fully extended position and have the effect of making the suspension stiffer. Some people like them but I don't. I once bought a Milano Verde with Bilstein gas shocks for my son to drive while my Verde had Koni yellows. The Konis made a much nicer ride.
Are the OEM gas shocks?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Gas shocks are charged with an inert gas - nitrogen usually I think - with the idea that it reduces oil foaming and more importantly from a marketing standpoint it stiffens up the ride. No, the OEM shocks are not gas charged. I have a low opinion of them myself......makes me think of getting Monroe Gas-Matics put on at Grease Monkey.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thoughts on the original set from Centerline or Vick Auto?

What is the main difference between gas and non-gas shocks and which are recommended?

Thanks
Has anyone purchased the Centerline or the Vick Auto shocks?

Not much of a recommendation for KYB?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Finding a brand of shock you like is like finding a girlfriend you like.

There both expensive and once you find one you like you tend to stick with it.

I've had Bilstein's on all the Alfa's I've owned over the last 32 years. Both with stock springs and sports springs.

The KYB's that are sold are over charge for the weight of Alfas. My son's 76 came with them and you could barely push the fender down.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just did springs this weekend. They are the ones Vicks sells that are advertised as only 10% or so more stiff than stock. I wanted to keep ride comfortable as we have a pretty highly strung and stiff GTV6 for being aggressive with. After several calls to several suppliers in both the USA and Europe, sticking with close to stock spring rate and my spica shocks was the recommend way to go.

Car dropped about 3/4" overall so lower center of gravity and better stance, but not abusive to drive.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Just did springs this weekend. They are the ones Vicks sells that are advertised as only 10% or so more stiff than stock. I wanted to keep ride comfortable as we have a pretty highly strung and stiff GTV6 for being aggressive with. After several calls to several suppliers in both the USA and Europe, sticking with close to stock spring rate and my spica shocks was the recommend way to go.

Car dropped about 3/4" overall so lower center of gravity and better stance, but not abusive to drive.
Did you leave or take out the shims?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts