Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering having my shocks replaced this winter.

There seems to be a million choices from - Koni (red), Koni (yellow), KYB, Bilstein, etc.

From what I can tell, KYB is the most inexpensive (similar to OEM) and Bilstein is the most expensive for those that want a more sportier ride?

What do you recommend? Would I be fine just going with KYB?

Is Centerline the best to purchase from? How about Pep Boys, Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts?

I don't mind paying a premium for new shocks, but only if it is worth it.

Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
million and1 more..qa1 single or double adjustable( a knob at bottom of shock, no need to remove to adjust ) jegs has same shock, just stickerd with there name.. and you can revalve them or rebuild them at home.

·
Premium Member
13,173 Posts
What is wrong with your current shocks or how would you like new ones to be different?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I've often read on the board that KYBs and Bilsteins are too stiff for a stock suspension - see here for example.

Red Konis set full soft are pretty similar to the original Spica shocks our cars were supplied with. Yellow Konis are said to be much stiffer, intended for track use/stiff suspensions.

Classic Alfa in UK sells repro shocks visually similar to the originals (£39.50 ea.) while both Centerline and Vick Autosport sell non-gas shocks from seemingly different sources at +/- $200/set.

For some obscure reason, KYB does not market the Alfa shocks in North America but has them available in Europe. No Alfa shocks are available form generic auto parts stores anymore.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is wrong with your current shocks or how would you like new ones to be different?
To my knowledge, they are still the original shocks.

The ride quality is now compromised and I would just like it to be more comfortable over bumps again.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've often read on the board that KYBs and Bilsteins are too stiff for a stock suspension - see here for example.

Red Konis set full soft are pretty similar to the original Spica shocks our cars were supplied with. Yellow Konis are said to be much stiffer, intended for track use/stiff suspensions.

Classic Alfa in UK sells repro shocks visually similar to the originals (£39.50 ea.) while both Centerline and Vick Autosport sell non-gas shocks from seemingly different sources at +/- $200/set.

For some obscure reason, KYB does not market the Alfa shocks in North America but has them available in Europe. No Alfa shocks are available form generic auto parts stores anymore.
Is non-gas shocks recommended?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
“The ride quality is now compromised and I would just like it to be more comfortable over bumps again.”
That’s not a lot for the suspension wizards here (not me) to go on.
Are you saying that bumps in the road make your teeth rattle? That can be caused by many things, but not usually worn shocks. Rattles could be the shocks or shock rubbers.
Or the car pogoes along after hitting a bump without quickly settling? That can be due to worn shocks.
Many things can affect ride quality, but worn out shocks would give a pretty specific set of problems.
And, yes, consensus seems to be that gas pressure shocks hinder, not help ride quality, and can also make our softly sprung cars sit higher.
If you can be a little more specific, you’ll get better targeted help.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
“The ride quality is now compromised and I would just like it to be more comfortable over bumps again.”
That’s not a lot for the suspension wizards here (not me) to go on.
Are you saying that bumps in the road make your teeth rattle? That can be caused by many things, but not usually worn shocks. Rattles could be the shocks or shock rubbers.
Or the car pogoes along after hitting a bump without quickly settling? That can be due to worn shocks.
Many things can affect ride quality, but worn out shocks would give a pretty specific set of problem.
And, yes, consensus seems to be that gas pressure shocks hinder, not help ride quality, and can also make our softly sprung cars sit higher.
If you can be a little more specific, you’ll get better targeted help.
The car I believe is running on the original shocks.

For that reason alone, I would like to change them as the car is now 27 years old.

I currently have IAP red sport springs that I had installed about 12 years ago.

I feel every bump that I go over now. Replacing the shocks is definitely something I plan on doing in the near future.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The car I believe is running on the original shocks.

For that reason alone, I would like to change them as the car is now 27 years old.

I currently have IAP red sport springs that I had installed about 12 years ago.

I feel every bump that I go over now. Replacing the shocks is definitely something I plan on doing in the near future.

Thanks
If you're running IAP reds with original shocks that's likely not a good match at all - even 12 years ago. You'll likely get a bunch of folks on here (NOT me) telling you to get rid of those and go back to stock springs, but you might try new shocks to tame them first. I like Koni reds with with those but I'm not going to argue with anyone about it.

What about your bushings, ball joints, etc. When were those last replaced?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
New shocks will not make the ride softer. Softer springs will.
IAP springs are 2-3 times stiffer than OE springs. I’d suggest that’s what is making your ride uncomfortable.
By all means replace the shocks, but figure out which springs you want first (stiffness) and then buy shocks to match that spring rate....’tame’ them, in Chris’ terms, above. If what you are experiencing and dislike could be described as too vicious a rebound after hitting a bump, that fits a too-weak shocks scenario.
Still... that’s more helpful...the more info you provide the better.

·
Push hard and live
8,988 Posts
Taste is the driving issue on this.

Decades ago i put wider, low profile tires, and Koni reds set half-hard on my 65 Sprint GT. Woo hoo, that was fun roaring around all the winding roads.

Now, usually stock springs and Red Konis, full soft. What a stable, poised ride! Roll into a turn. Track turn. Roll out of turn. No drama. While cruising, no constant spanking from hard springs or gas loaded shocks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My 2 cents..... if you are not going to race the car try to replace them to as close to stock as possible. I think my 84 still has stock shocks and run smooth and does good on the twists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am considering having my shocks replaced this winter.

There seems to be a million choices from - Koni (red), Koni (yellow), KYB, Bilstein, etc.

From what I can tell, KYB is the most inexpensive (similar to OEM) and Bilstein is the most expensive for those that want a more sportier ride?

What do you recommend? Would I be fine just going with KYB?

Is Centerline the best to purchase from? How about Pep Boys, Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts?

I don't mind paying a premium for new shocks, but only if it is worth it.

Thanks
I installed Koni Reds While still using the stock springs. My goal was to improve the handling without making the ride too stiff. I noticed a big improvement with the Koni’s while maintaining the stock feel to the car.

Doug

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
New shocks will not make the ride softer. Softer springs will.
IAP springs are 2-3 times stiffer than OE springs. I’d suggest that’s what is making your ride uncomfortable.
By all means replace the shocks, but figure out which springs you want first (stiffness) and then buy shocks to match that spring rate....’tame’ them, in Chris’ terms, above. If what you are experiencing and dislike could be described as too vicious a rebound after hitting a bump, that fits a too-weak shocks scenario.
Still... that’s more helpful...the more info you provide the better.
My ride actually got a lot MORE comfortable when I went to the red springs (from Centerline - I believe they're the same as the old IAP springs) - but that's only because I replaced every other wear item in the suspension at the same time: shocks, bushings, ball joints, limiting straps, tie-rod ends, steering idler bushings, right front spring pan (to go to the proper deep pan they neglected to install at the factory)...I feel like I'm leaving something out but what I mean is everything. Well, not the top bushings for the.......big triangular thingamajig that centers the rear end and which I can't recall the name for at this early hour. Everything else though. Car drives like it was new and is just absolutely fantastic.

The springs are a matter of taste though and a lot of us like the uprated ones. I know, I know, that means that I have no idea what I'm talking about and I like to ruin cars and get new fillings. :rolleyes: I won't argue this point - except to say that I like them and anyone who tells my I'm stupid to like what I like can suck it. ;)

The reds can be a good match for either your IAP springs or stock springs. If you go that route set the reds to around the mid point in the rear and slightly stiffer in the front. If you decide to go back to stock later back them all the way back to full soft or near to it.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I replaced my tired S4 OEM dampers with the hydraulic items from Vick Auto. Very smooth, controlled ride. My springs are stock with 90+K miles and I'm running 205/50 tires on 7" Rota wheels. I'm really happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Consider this another vote for Koni Reds set at full soft paired with OEM rate springs. See if you can find the spring rate for the springs you have on the car. If they are significantly stiffer than stock you'll need to use "stiffer" shocks to control them.

Suspension tuning is a huge complex area but as a starting principle springs & shocks need to be matched to each other.

Bye

1 - 20 of 33 Posts