Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good quality ring compressor? I am working on a motor with a friend and his is not working out well.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
I strongly recommend a Wiseco tapered sleeve type. Each one is a specific bore size so they are not universal but they work very well, even with 3 piece oil rings.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! What size did you buy please?

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
My motor has 85 mm pistons so I bought the 85 mm model. You need the 84 mm one in the link if you have a stock 2L.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just looked at the box the piston and liner kit came in - it does say 84 mm

Thanks again,
John

·
Registered
1969 GTV1750; 1973 GTV2000; 1974 Spider; 1986 Spider
52 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good quality ring compressor? I am working on a motor with a friend and his is not working out well.

Thanks!
I have two spring steel type that tighten with a hex key but they wouldn't work when I rebuilt a 1980 VW Rabbit diesel several years ago and a local mechanic recommended a Wrinkle Brand universal ring compressor. I got one from a local tool dealer and it worked fantastic. They're available on Amazon @ Amazon.com: Lisle 21700 Wrinkle Band Ring Compressor: Automotive

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like Paul Spruell sells a compressor just like the Wiseco. I think that style is the way to go.

Thanks, Everyone!

John

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
3 piece oil control rings are the challenge and the tapered sleeve is the answer. I think that Papajam posted details of the one that he made from an old liner and the old AR manuals show the use of this type.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like the way to go - Papajam always seemed to have the answers!

Thanks all! John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts