Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get ready for summer weather here. So I took my 164B back out to hobby shop today to get my R12 freon put back in. I had it removed last fall and stored in their a/c service and recovery machine when I thought I would be pulling engine out for problem I had with it making mayonaise under valve covers.

I played with engine head torque and installed sub zero PCV and new oil seperator during the winter and finally won the battle at least for now. So I decided to recharge A/C with same R12 I took out. Actually we only took out 1 1/2 lb so I had to buy 1 1/4 lb today to get the full 44 oz (2 3/4 lb) charge called for by sticker in engine bay and shop manual.

Still felt I had plenty of oil and dye in system so didn't add any as we put those in back in 2007 and since system hadn't lost very much freon in 3 years I didn't want to add more oil and lose some cooling efficiency.

After we pulled vacumm for 30 minutes and checked that system tight, Paul added the 44 oz of R12 and we checked pressures - 30 psi low side and 190 psi high side. Cooling fan kicked in about 225psi on high side and brought pressure back down to about 180 and fan cut back off.

Temp gauge probe in center vent in dash got down to 40F pretty quick so think we have a go.

I had turned off my Murray shut off valve before we started to shut off hot water to heater core.

I cleaned A/C air filter in evaporator box and checked recirculation door moter for proper operation, too.

False firewall seals in good shape so I think we covered all bases for now.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
As the Warm Season Approaches...

Question about receiver/dryer:
Last summer, my compressor expired and I got one from Blake's car to replace it. However, since then I have not had the system charged and was wondering if the receiver/dryer would need replacing.

:confused:

·
Premium Member
27,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Question about receiver/dryer:
Last summer, my compressor expired and I got one from Blake's car to replace it. However, since then I have not had the system charged and was wondering if the receiver/dryer would need replacing.

:confused:
Yes, definitely install a new one. Seems like your old one you sent me for a boat anchor had failed internally or was it just the clutch bearing?

If internal failure you need to purge the system and may need a new expansion valve, too.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Yep. The original had hardened ooze coming out of it when it failed.

I'll try to scare up the parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts