Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one of these in their car/truckSUV? Jensen offers a lot of them and are 'reasonably' priced. What I would really like is one with a navigation system.

I'm aware the signal/directions come from a satellite, but might there be an add-on to a receiver, not unlike an XM unit?

I'd sure rather have one on a 7" screen (that folds away when not in use) than the tiny screens on the portable ones.

Biba

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
A freind has one in his truck so the kids can watch DVD's or play vidiot games while on the road.

Dunno if it'll do sat radio or gps as he won't put up the dosh to activate them if the device can handle it, so AM/FM/CD is all he offers.

How about going about it the other way 'round?
ie: instead of getting a nav setup that you can attach a radio receiver to, why not check around for a receiver that a nav rig can connect to instead. You might even find one that's right outta the box that way. (I think John M has some kinda screen thing going with his audio setup. Might be worth poking around for to see)

Only reason I mention it is that it seems the audio device head units are geared toward expansion/add-ons/pluggin' extra stuff in right out of the box while the dedicated screen devices, like sat nav, don't really play well with others if they are the 'master' unit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've seen some for sale on ebay with the fold away 7 inch screen. Plays DVD, CD etc, receives TV, sat nav, bluetooth connectivity, radio etc, reversing camera. Its seems to do it all at a reasonable price, thinking of getting one. Anyone know what the quality is like on these units?

Mark

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I have a friend that has one in his truck that is Pioneer, I think. AM FM stereo, Sirius satellite, GPS and DVD player and Lord only knows what he paid for it, but it is cool. I borrowed that truck the other day (the reasons being beyond the scope of this thread) and the GPS was a great help considering I knew where I was going but not how to get there from where I was. Like that makes any sense, but still it worked great.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for rreplying. I have since found that there are several head units with 7" screens that offer an add-on navigation unit. Pioneer, Jensen, and Clarion to name three.

The top of the line Clarion ($700) to me is the only decent looking head unit out there. Actually it is a very elegant looking piece of equipment. I have no idea what Clarion's add-on navigation system costs, but in any event, well beyond my budget.

Not to go off on a tangent, but home receivers, are for the most part quite sophisticated looking - without adding on visual gimmicks. It is unfortunate, but apparently all automotive 'sound' manufacturers are marketing solely to the 18 - 30 year old demographics.

I'll also add that I would hope there would be a back-lash on making so many of the head unit's capabilities as add-ons. Wouldn't it be nice to have a reasonably priced head unit that one could download their iPod to; built in Sirus/XM capabilities; Hi-def radio; and navigation?

I'm sure there are people who have a phone, XM unit, iPod, and navigation unit all hanging off their head unit.

Biba

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The Jensen unit is a nice looking unit the sound quality is not the best but the unit is not that bad for the price. I use a separate GPS by Garmen and I have a pioneer DEH-P9800BT for my satellite bluetooth needs it also plays cds mp3 etc.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I'm sure there are people who have a phone, XM unit, iPod, and navigation unit all hanging off their head unit.
Cup holders and 'power ports'.
Cup holders and 'power ports'.

And bluetooth.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for rreplying. I have since found that there are several head units with 7" screens that offer an add-on navigation unit. Pioneer, Jensen, and Clarion to name three.

The top of the line Clarion ($700) to me is the only decent looking head unit out there. Actually it is a very elegant looking piece of equipment. I have no idea what Clarion's add-on navigation system costs, but in any event, well beyond my budget.

Not to go off on a tangent, but home receivers, are for the most part quite sophisticated looking - without adding on visual gimmicks. It is unfortunate, but apparently all automotive 'sound' manufacturers are marketing solely to the 18 - 30 year old demographics.

I'll also add that I would hope there would be a back-lash on making so many of the head unit's capabilities as add-ons. Wouldn't it be nice to have a reasonably priced head unit that one could download their iPod to; built in Sirus/XM capabilities; Hi-def radio; and navigation?

Biba
Biba,
I'd love to hear how you make out. I have a 1994 164LS automatic, and I'm having problems find one of these units that will work. The Pioneer shoots out so far it would hit the stick when in park, and the Jensen would hit the door over the radio compartment in the 164. I've not seen a Clarion yet to observe how it opens, but clearances have been a real issue for me in looking at these.

I currently have an Alpine CDA-7894 installed by the previous owner. He replaced the CD-changer in the trunk with an XM radio receiver. The amp is under the passenger's seat. Unfortunately, if I want to plug an iPod in, I need to run a cord into the trunk to plug into the XM receiver. He just pulled out the ski sleeve and ran it through the opening in the rear seats.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nav/Head units

I might as well join in. I have a Pioneer AVIC-N2 I was hoping to put into my 92 spider, but the screen tilts back about 12 degrees, and with the slope of the radio space, it wasn't feasible. I thought about modifying the air conditioning outlets to the radio slot and moving the radio up. It would have allowed the screen to open back over the dash somewhat, still low enough not to block the windshield, but up above the shifter. You see, I use a gps a lot, but don't like cluttering up my forward view. I drive a bit aggressively, (what's a sports car for), so I need an unobstructed view. Now, back to the AVIC-N2. The main reason I wanted this unit to work is because there is a remote that clips on the steering wheel. I like the idea of operating my stereo without looking down at it. A lot can happen. The unit is XM/NAV/DVD/you name it. Back up camera. You might want to look at the unit on Pioneer's web site. They list for $2000.00. I guess I am going to save this one to put in my next truck...unless someone wants it for $1200.00 It is still in the box.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I might as well join in. I have a Pioneer AVIC-N2 I was hoping to put into my 92 spider, but the screen tilts back about 12 degrees, and with the slope of the radio space, it wasn't feasible. I thought about modifying the air conditioning outlets to the radio slot and moving the radio up. It would have allowed the screen to open back over the dash somewhat, still low enough not to block the windshield, but up above the shifter. You see, I use a gps a lot, but don't like cluttering up my forward view. I drive a bit aggressively, (what's a sports car for), so I need an unobstructed view. Now, back to the AVIC-N2. The main reason I wanted this unit to work is because there is a remote that clips on the steering wheel. I like the idea of operating my stereo without looking down at it. A lot can happen. The unit is XM/NAV/DVD/you name it. Back up camera. You might want to look at the unit on Pioneer's web site. They list for $2000.00. I guess I am going to save this one to put in my next truck...unless someone wants it for $1200.00 It is still in the box.
Actually...that AVIC you refer to fits just fine in a 92 spider.:D:D And that remote clips in nicely too.:D:D You can adjust the tilt and it will be just fine...so now you are all out of excuses. No modification to the air vents necessary. The gps antenna can mount inside on the carpeted shelf with the brain box underneath. N2 though is discontinued....so look for the latest model and you'll get a hard drive, up to date IPOD interface, and bluetooth phone control all inclusive.

The AVIC series can be operated with the screen down as well as folded out. The lower portion where the knobs are is a detachable face for security. The AVIC N series units also play dvds, sat radio, and back in analog days...tv tuners. Great units. There are also double DIN versions that look very OEM for the daily drivers. I have one of those in my Honda Pilot and use it constantly for work...especially the POI search and directions.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
61 Posts
John,
Can you get me a side photo with the screen open, the car in 3rd or 5th gear and the air conditioning vents open? I had the unit in place, but wasn't pleased with the clearance, or lack thereof. And when you say I can adjust the tilt, do you mean the angle of the head unit, or how far the screen tilts back upon opening? I noticed you clipped the remote exactly where I had planned. The #%&@ thing looks like it was made for that steering wheel!....

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
John,
Can you get me a side photo with the screen open, the car in 3rd or 5th gear and the air conditioning vents open? I had the unit in place, but wasn't pleased with the clearance, or lack thereof. And when you say I can adjust the tilt, do you mean the angle of the head unit, or how far the screen tilts back upon opening? I noticed you clipped the remote exactly where I had planned. The #%&@ thing looks like it was made for that steering wheel!....
Sure on the photos. Perhaps later today or tomorrow on those. Those pics above are from several years ago when I installed her. If memory serves me correctly, you can adjust how far out the screen base deploys....and I know 100% for sure you can adjust the tilt of the screen once it is deployed via the +/- buttons. The angle of the head unit is fixed. With the screen up, you'll have to leave the ac vents barely open or closed. The screen does not interfere with the gear shift knob as far as I can remember, but I will double check. And once its up....well its no where near the gear shift lever. You are right on that remote....fits like a glove there.

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 12 of 12 Posts