Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this engine back, which I rebuilt 18 months ago, in part payment for building another engine. I know, circular. Anyway, I'm overloaded with engines and would like to sell it. The details:

AR00526*50387* block, late 1967 Giulia Super. Head is an earlier small-port 1600 with no bolt tangs at the front for the cam cover. Crank ground 30/30, new bearings, rod bearings coated for optimal clearance. New pistons and liners, pistons clearanced for valve/head. Rods checked/sized. Head cut maybe .080" but piston assembly was careful and it's fine. Dan Zebell originally built the head, Norman did a cleanup. Compression ratio approx 9.5. Stock 105 cams. Norman oil system upgrades to restrict oil flow to idler sprocket and cams, keeps oil in the crank. Early shallow 105.14 oil pan with matching "short" pump, gone through by Dan Marvin.

Everything checked and assembled carefully. I ran it when I built it, then again last week with 105 pan (formerly had Alfetta pan). Runs fine, oil pressure 90 when cold, compression 155-165 on slow starter, rings not broken in yet. Has maybe five minutes' running time on test stand.

As is, will fit any 105 car. Install Alfetta or Giulietta pan and oil filter to put in a 750, 101, or Alfetta.

Was thinking $2500-3000 depending on setup. I just built a 750 1300, was 50 hours' labor plus like $5000 in parts and machining. Happy to talk to interested folks. Engine can be run. In Berkeley CA.

Has Giulia TI manifold and Solex carb on it, or I could include a Weber manifold, but don't have carbs. Has 750 exhaust manifold now, I can include a 105 manifold. Can swap cam covers too, etc.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Good Deal

Yes, this would be a good deal and I would consider it myself if I wasn't half way through my rebuild. Parts for just the first main purchase are was about $1500 for a stock set up. That doesn't count all the extra stuff you will find that you need.

Then there is the clean up, disassembly, machining even before you put one part back together.

Yes, I would say this is a good deal.

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Seems like folks are reluctant to pay for a non-professional rebuild that they don't contract for/plan in advance, so I've tried to price it in a way that'll be attractive. And I'm flexible, especially if you have good Giulietta Spider bumpers to trade, or a ready-to-go 750 Spider top.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't find a home. Built engines, for whatever reason, are a tough sell. But yes, the price is in the ballpark of the parts and machine work.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Andrew,
I think that it is easier to sell an engine in parts and let the owner have someone build the engine. I have two 101 1300 engines and one 1600 Super engine that are completely taken apart and are worth more in pieces than rebuilt. The 1300 750 engine parts are getting harder to find and one has to pay or just forget about building the engine.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I also think that when an Alfa owner passes away most of the widows throw away all of their husbands junk Alfa parts. I know that my wife will throw away all of my parts and cars if I pass before she does.

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say 1300s are an exception. 1600-2000 engine parts I don't see as worth much. 1300s, yes.

I have talked to my wife about the value of the junk I own. She knows it; odds are I'll die first, I hope she'll get someone to help value and dispose/distribute.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Alfa

I also think that when an Alfa owner passes away most of the widows throw away all of their husbands junk Alfa parts. I know that my wife will throw away all of my parts and cars if I pass before she does.[/QUOTE

Ironic thoughts since as we all are looking for that one " great Alfa find". Visions of going to a garage sale and finding that elusive part or a GTA, SS, or another rare Alfa being sold by a "little old widow".
Before your departure date you may want to discuss this with heirs or maybe, mark all your parts with a price. Of course selling or throwing away may be a revengeful statement. Perhaps this should be the least of your worries for the afterlife.
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hmmmmmm

I also think that when an Alfa owner passes away most of the widows throw away all of their husbands junk Alfa parts. I know that my wife will throw away all of my parts and cars if I pass before she does.
My wife likes that quote!!!!:surprise:

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Thank you. Seems like folks are reluctant to pay for a non-professional rebuild that they don't contract for/plan in advance, so I've tried to price it in a way that'll be attractive. And I'm flexible, especially if you have good Giulietta Spider bumpers to trade, or a ready-to-go 750 Spider top.

Andrew
I think Andrew has built enough of them that he would get them right especially since I've read in his threads that he gets advice and some of the work done by Norman's Alfa.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1600 engine

Hello Andrew, I met you back in November. This engine may be an option for the Elva. Is this the engine we talked about then?
The hospitality you and you wife showed to my daughters was very much appreciated, Kourtney wants to know if we can stop and say hi when we're up there next.
Christopher

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got your phone message Chris.
I don't remember which motor we talked about, but this probably is it. Pan and pump would not work on an Elva I wouldn't think, you'd have to go with a Giulietta or Alfetta pan/pump, or maybe a dry sump.
I have two other interested folks, will figure out who/what/who called first and get back to everyone.
Thanks
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have a tentative deal. Will let you know if it falls through. Thanks.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have a tentative deal with a local guy, and a backup if that falls through. Thanks though.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, two folks have already committed and flaked, so we'll see how the rest of the list goes. But I seem to have a deal.
Andrew

1 - 20 of 23 Posts