Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my throwout bearing went bad, I decided to pull the engine and transmission, clean them and tear down the engine for a rebuild.
My son Dan and I have gotten the thing apart, and I am really supprised at how little wear there is in the engine. I did a valve job a few years ago with a head gasket replacement, and the valves are within 1 thousandth of spec.
The crank journals are still within the factory specs. dont these things ever wear out? For a 1974 with over 80 thousand miles, I expected more wear.

If anyone wants pictures of things inside that are not usually seen, It will be a while before I can re-assemble, 110 degrees yesterday and an un cooled garage slow things down a little.
cliff

·
Registered
437 Posts
I guess it depends how the car was treated.
I rebuild my 2.0 now, I had to replace every single part...
time chains, pistons and liners, bearings etc...
and that engine was much younger.
So those parts wear out if you don't maintain the engine as it should...

Saar
(I bought the car in that condition...)

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
As long as the crank has oil it will theoretically run forever as there is no metal to metal contact, it's riding of a film of oil. Alfa cranks are a work of art. Just have it polished and if they don't ask which way the motor rotates run away or at least give them a chance then tell them. For all they know it could be out of a marine engine that turns right looking at the flywheel. Lots of threads on rings and seating. Might as well get a set of motronic pistons and liners, much better dome design, a little more compression and about the same cost. I'd get a set of total seal, hastings, deves, millions of opinions on all of them, instead of using the stock rings. The main thing is to clean the heck out of the liners before you install them. I wash mine in the dishwasher. Good luck! been above a hundred for weeks now here in East Texas. I coulda been out there all day when I was 18 and dumb enough not to know any better:)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
considering the number of previous owners, and the oil leakage and burning, the engine was in prety good shape, and there was sludge in the crankcase. several o rings and gskets were leaking, and there was about a cup of antifreeze in the oil when I drained it.
I will take a few pictures when it cools down enough outside that my camera wont burst into flames if I take it outside. over 100 degrees here for the last 21 days.
cliff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts