Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks have asked if I could post the seat building process. Well, I don't recommend one tries this, but here we go. First thing, hire someone to do it! Aja is trained in this. And she has lots of tools and skills in this area. The seats she is working on are from a 67 GT Veloce.

After carefully removing the fabric (needed as a template) she access the condition of the foam. It was not good. So we ordered the foam in various thicknesses.

Next we seen that the wool wrap around the frame was in poor shape.

The frames are a little rusty so we will blast and paint them in the coming days.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Fantastic, more hands on step by step help for all of us who love Alfa. Keep up the good work Akitaman-any relation to Crabman?
Cheers
Jon the Aussie

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jon. Sorry don't crabman. As for this new thread, I don't know what it will really offer folks, but sometimes people just want to know whats involved. After all that is what the BB is all about. Sharing.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... but sometimes people just want to know whats involved. ...
You've hit the nail on the head! I feel it's really important to know what is involved, as this helps to evaluate who you should trust with the work, and also allows people to appreciate what it takes to do the job right. Yes, one can save money by doing one's own work, but I find that there is always a difference between a professional job, and one's first time attempt. Experience and practice really make a difference in the final product, and having the proper tools, materials, etc. is also crucial for a long lasting job. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
That's why I don't do bodywork. I can't get the results that will satisfy me.

"A man's got to know his limitations."
-Harry Callahan-

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so this isn't about seats. But, it's still good. We are finishing a car that the owner wants a GTA style headliner. So one is being made.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the seats are getting there, and the GTA headliner is done.

This is the seating surface (the correct basket weave) being marked out.

Here, the seat backs and seat surface is glued to the first layer of foam. Stitching the sections together is coming up next.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are going to get me in trouble with her.;) Behave. She is one very hard working girl. If that wasn't enough, she welds better then me!:eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Akitaman...are you going to offer rebuilding of seats as a additional service.
Another words could I send my '69 gtv seats to you for restoration?
Your restorations are beyond my wildest dreams.........

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Dave. She will be building my 69 seats next. Flying butts are very complex. If they go as well as the 67 seats are going, then yes we will be offering that. She has built lots of seats over the years but not Alfa seats. The GTA headliner, seats and carpet kit are very nice so far. We opened a lot of accounts with upholstery outfits over the last few weeks (leather suppliers, foam rubber suppliers and automotive vinyl suppliers) and all of them know her and her skills. This helps me feel better about the plans we have.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hahahaha, you need to get out more
NO! NO! NO!, Axeman needs to stay IN more to have the GTV finished for the Alfa Spettacolo in November! Never mind all this internet funny business admiring denim clad upholsterers on the other side of the world, at 6.05 on a Saturday night he still has at least another 6 hours of re assembly work before bed time.

The only posts that may be deemed appropriate are those of nicely painted or shiny new parts being bolted back on to that glossy GTV body shell. So hurry up and get on with it, we're all waiting........ :D

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Hi Daron, I asked for this thread as well but just found out about now! I too will be looking at having to redo my buttress seats..and so will be following this thread closely. Once again I appreciate the time you're investing into this BB with all these super threads!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm with Repidodave and would send you my seats in a heartbeat from San Francisco. Question for anyone: What if I want to replace the vinyl seats in my 1971 GTV with leather? Would the concourse purists go mad? Akitaman, could you guys do that, keeping original stitch lines etc so they *look* the same as original?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What type of fabric did you use?

Hi Akitaman,

I saw your project with the new seats and headliner; My 2000GTV needs new seats and headliner too; what type (brand, name, supplier) you used in your project. Because it's hard to find vinyl, that looks like the original.

Bye, Leon

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... Question for anyone: What if I want to replace the vinyl seats in my 1971 GTV with leather? Would the concourse purists go mad? ...
Simply replacing the vinyl seat material with leather will result in an "incorrectness" deduction of 0.5 points out of 100, per the AROC concours standards. (Of course, if you also have a wrong stitching pattern, and/or use colors, including piping, that were not available for the year of your car, you would incur in additional deductions...)

Best regards,

·
Registered
481 Posts
Suppliers and Brands

Greetings all:
Please do not put Akitaman in an awkward position by asking him to name specific suppliers and brands. He has to deal with many of each in the course of his business, and would soon be in trouble with his suppliers if he started showing favoritism in that manner.
Do your own research, but please try and keep those sort of questions out of the Akitaman threads. He contibutes much, and doesn't need the additional headache.
Kindest regards, Ian.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Hi Akitaman,

I saw your project with the new seats and headliner; My 2000GTV needs new seats and headliner too; what type (brand, name, supplier) you used in your project. Because it's hard to find vinyl, that looks like the original.

Bye, Leon

Leon, I don't believe your statement holds true anymore. There are many knowledgeable suppliers that have the right material or at least know where to get it if they don't. Have you called them to enquire? I'd find it hard to believe that the UK, German or the US suppliers don't have the correct material.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts