Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a month ago I blew a rear brake line going to the Proportion Valve on my 91' 164l and so I figured if I had to drop the rear sub frame and the gas tank I might as well rebuild the whole rear of the car. I am putting new Koni struts front and rear, keeping stock springs and height. I have removed the rear sub frame grinded all of the rust and paint off of it and I am going to repainting it. I cleaned inside both rear wheel wells and sprayed with rubberized undercoating. I Pulled the gas tank checked the pump assembly and cleaned the inside of the tank, cleaned any rust off of the outside of the tank and painted it. I still need to run new brake lines, install new brake valve, clean and paint with gray caliper paint all of the brake components, and re-assembly everything. When I am done it's onto the front for new Koni struts and new A-frame's with new rubber bushings.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
Wow - that brake line fix certainly turned into a BIG job didn't it! :rolleyes:

Great work - hope you notice a nice difference in the ride and handling.

-Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,743 Posts
Just rebuilt the springs and struts on the rear of my 164. Now it oversteers on ice. Looks great and drives like new but the front is looking a tad droopy now, 8-(

Plan on doing the front suspension soon also.

The 164 is very well balanced and renewing the rear is bound to make the front seem squishy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Rob, For the inside of the wheel wells and shock towers I cleaned up any rust and treated with Eastwood's rust ecapsulator then I coated the whole inside with 3M Rubberized Undercoating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
More work done

I got allot more done this weekend, ran new brake lines, replaced some steel fuel line and rubber hose coming into and going out of the fuel filter, new fuel filter, got the gas tank and rear suspension re-installed. It is finally starting to look like a car again. I still need to put the brakes back together, bleed the system and adjust the proportion valve.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,710 Posts
Looking good. Like those new brake line fittings. Did you go with 4 new lines all the way or splice into long lines under body?

What's the deal on tank fill pipe has it been modified/spliced with a rubber hose at outlet coming out of tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Steve, We did run new line all the way back from the unions at the front of the car. I am fortunate enough that my father has a pneumatic metric line flaring tool so we were able to create all new line. I also replaced a good amount of the return fuel line and all of the rubber fuel injection hose around the fuel filter. As for the fuel tank filler neck, the original developed a leak a number of years ago and so we cut out the accordion piece and replaced it with a piece of heavy duty rubber fuel hose and it has worked great. A good amount of ingenuity, invention and hard work has kept this car on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a slight setback yesterday, I tried to start the car for the first time after putting the gas tank back together and I had a fuel leak around the fuel filter. I discovered that the bent metal banjo fitting with the 12mm bolt let go, there is a small pin hole right in the metal fitting. I am hoping that a bike shop in town that carries metric banjo fittings will have something in stock that I can match up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
updated pictures

just some updated pictures of the job. I am almost done just need to replace inner and outer tie rod ends, just waiting for the cal-van inner tie rod tool to come in.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally Done!

So it's finally done, New Koni struts, new A-arms, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, poly sway bar link bushings, all new brake lines to rear of car. It has taken me almost 2 months and way more money than I had originally intended to spend. There is still a few things i need to take care of but most of it is done and most importantly it is driveable again. It would have been much more difficult with out all the help i received on AlfaBB. Im getting an alignment tomorrow morning then off for a ride, It's been way to long.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,710 Posts
Good deal!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Nice work!! You have a lot of patience. It always costs more and takes longer
since you end up replacing much more than planned. Love the Koni yellow for the fronts!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey thanks Bremms, Yeah I have learned that when it comes to an Alfa budgets are made to be broken. I thought that it would look really nice if the front and rear struts were the same color so I took a little extra time and painted them a yellow that is really close to Koni yellow. I picked up the car from the alignment shop a few hours ago, stiffened up the struts a little and took it for a ride in the mountains, all the work was worth it.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top